major poping..help please

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sspider
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Elite
new york
heres the problem...

subs are poping, NOT at high volumes, but...

- when i bring the volume down to 0, it pops

- when volume goes up from 0, it pops

- when i change songs on cd

- when i change radio stations

now here is the funny part, i lower the gain, no poping, but i cant hear jack shizzz, so i was sitting with the reciever in hand, and i take one of the rca outputs from the reciever and i touch it to the metal casing on the reciever and the subs play louder...wuz up with that?

the ground is in the same place my brother has his ground in his car ( i got golf, he has jetta)

i'm gonna shorten the ground wire and see if it changes anything...

what is the problem? i am completly lost!!

sspider

Originally posted by Sspider was sitting with the reciever in hand, and i take one of the rca outputs from the reciever and i touch it to the metal casing on the reciever and the subs play louder...wuz up with that?

sspider
That's gotta be a clue. Touching the RCA outer shell to the receiver case would be completing the ground for the audio cable, and should be no different than plugging it into the receiver's jacks. I'd suspect that the receiver's jacks are oxidized so they don't make connection. Clean em with steel wool or something, and squeeze the RCA plugs a bit to make em fit tighter.

Originally posted by maylar That's gotta be a clue. Touching the RCA outer shell to the receiver case would be completing the ground for the audio cable, and should be no different than plugging it into the receiver's jacks. I'd suspect that the receiver's jacks are oxidized so they don't make connection. Clean em with steel wool or something, and squeeze the RCA plugs a bit to make em fit tighter.

the reciever has 3 sets of rca outputs..reaf/front/non fade

for example...i have rca cables on non fade running to the amp...the other two doing nothin...i take, lets say the front, and touch them to the amp, they play louder...i'm not taking the actual rca cable running to the amp and touching the case....but i will go try what you told me, never hurts to try....

any thing else come to mind, this really has me puzzled....

sspider

Originally posted by Goddyd4me just a possibility....bad ground for the h/u and/or amp...try re grounding them....
gonna try to reground the HU and the amp, and see if it still does it, if so, then NUTSSSSSSSs...

sspider

when i had rf amps in my old car, i had a similar prob, try running a small wire from the metal chassis of the hu to the metal chassis of the amp, (just run a wire over your seats through your car to see if it works so you don't have to rip your car apart) this got rid of all my noise in my old car....if it works, the hide the wire of course...

now i dont kno how the hell i got to this, but i was making a new ground for my HU, and i touch the ground to the rca cable and the problem stopped, so i just soldered a ground to the extra rca cable and called it a day, dont kno wut was wrong, but it fixed the problem.....

sspider

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.