Lowes...

yeah, i was thinking about looking up a local carpenter or i could get my hands dirty and use my jigsaw and wood fill the crap out of the box lol

yeah, i was thinking about looking up a local carpenter or i could get my hands dirty and use my jigsaw and wood fill the crap out of the box lol

Their tolerances are up to 1/2.. so basically if they don't cut it right and it's within that 1/2 or so of tolerance.. They could give two shits.. It even says it on the sign in front of the panel saw..

Just fwiw

It really does, I had an old guy do it for me once.. took careful measurements of every cut.. Then one time some ******* kid came and did it in 5 mins and it every cut was off by a ton.

yep, you live and learn, I'm going to make it work without spending more money, as long as the back/front and sides are straight everything else is workable.

Another good way to get the guy to pay attention and care about your shlt is to throw him 10 or 15 bucks. My buddy used to do this. Remarkable how accurate they can get when they care.

Always have the old guys make the cuts. They are never rushed and take pride in their work and know to measure twice and cut once. I had a kid cut some wood for me and I brought a combination square in with me and when the cuts werent straight when he was done, I just walked out and left everything on the cart.

sorry about your luck man, but i can promise you neither hd or lowes guarantees accuracy of cuts, you take it upon yourself when you ask them to cut it. both my local hd and lowes however will allow me to use a measuring tape, speed-square and pencil to mark exactly where i want my cuts and they have come out great that way.

I had the same issue with homedpeot once they'll refund it, but the guide in the blade was bent and threw off everything

I work in the lumber department of home depot and use the panel saw everyday. There is a sign up that say "no precision cuts" and there is a reason for that. That saw is not designed to make accurate cuts its designed to cut plywood in half so customers can take it home. In fact my department head has actually told me numerous times that if a customer wants something closer then a quarter of an inch, take them to look at some table saws.

The saw has a bad habit of cutting slanted too. I spoke to the guy who services the saw about it, and he said it is to do with the rollers the saw is guided by. Usually it ranges between 1/16-1/8 of an inch difference between the top and the bottom.

However if you are EXTREMELY care full you can get some pretty good cuts out of it. It takes a lot of time and practice though. In fact just tonight I cut down 2 sheets of MDF to make a 4th order for my self using that saw, and got it pretty **** accurate. It took me an hour and a half though, and most employees aren't skilled enough or simply don't care enough to take that much time to cut your wood. Also 90% of the other Lumber associates don't consider the amount the blade takes off when you cut, and you can lose 1/8 inch on that.

You just have to tell the guy what you are using the wood for, and ask if he will be extra careful. Ive had HD do all the cuts for a box once, every cut was within a 16th to a 32nd, very accurate. I watched the guy and before he made the cut, he would bring the saw blade down and gouge the wood a little bit, then use a tape to quickly double check accuracy. And I didn't have to throw him 10-15 bux. They get paid by the hour.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

prototype561

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
prototype561
Albany, GA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date