Looking for something to push four (15) inch dual 4 rockford fosgate hx2's

Running .5 at 2k rms any different than running 2k rms @ 2 ohms electrical wise? I'm only going to have two 155ahr telecom batteries and stock alt.
Yes running an amp at 0.5ohm compared to 2ohm is extremely different. I wouldn't run anything at 0.5ohm unless I had a 250A or larger H/O alt and at least 250Ah or more worth of good AGM batteries. Just my opinion though.

I beg to differ. As long as your not maxing out the amp at .5ohm it's not harder on the amp. Everytime I've wired lower it sounds cleaner and louder because the amp wasn't trying to over work itself. Just like when people say don't run .5ohm if you don't have the electrical to back it up... That's not good advice... U can run .5ohm on stock electrical,just don't clip the amp and don't draw more power then your electrical system can handle. Keep the amp 12v+ and it will be happy.
It would be cool for you to get a term lab magnum and use your tfe 8.0 at .5ohm and clamp 2000watts and see your score.. Then re wire to 2ohm and clamp 2000watts and see your score... According to you on the same 2000watts but 2ohm should be louder and cleaning sounding. I bet the scores will be the same if u clamp same power
As a general rule running an amp at .5 ohms is more power hungry than an amp running at 2 ohms.

Higher current = More power dissipated as heat. Wiring lower doesn't magically give you more power free. It takes its toll in the form of increased power draw from alt/batts. Not to mention your amp may or may not have the capability to sustain the current you're demanding from it.

Most people tend to only run at .5 to max out the amp, otherwise why not run at a higher impedance?

Maybe ask and look around and see how the CAB 1600.1's hold up and verify they are strappable. If so those would be a good fit. You can also look for kicker kx2500 they make their power at 2 ohms and can be found fairly regularly for ~400

I beg to differ. As long as your not maxing out the amp at .5ohm it's not harder on the amp. Everytime I've wired lower it sounds cleaner and louder because the amp wasn't trying to over work itself. Just like when people say don't run .5ohm if you don't have the electrical to back it up... That's not good advice... U can run .5ohm on stock electrical,just don't clip the amp and don't draw more power then your electrical system can handle. Keep the amp 12v+ and it will be happy.
It would be cool for you to get a term lab magnum and use your tfe 8.0 at .5ohm and clamp 2000watts and see your score.. Then re wire to 2ohm and clamp 2000watts and see your score... According to you on the same 2000watts but 2ohm should be louder and cleaning sounding. I bet the scores will be the same if u clamp same power
Not talking about the same amps. Taylor fade tested multiple amps against eachother with clamps and termlab. Like an american bass vfl 750.1 and a jbl crown. these are resistive loads which are true to ohm load tests. The jbl crown at 4 ohms(which is its minimum impedance) clamped a lot less than the vfl 750.1 at its mimimnum safe impedance but metered a lot higher and sounded miles cleaner.

Im not talking about the same amps bro because obviously you get more power wired lower. Im talking about different amps. Put a soundqubed 2200.1 at half ohm vs an alpine or kicker 2k at 2 ohms, the latter would win in sound quality and be close, if not better in output.

Btw i got 6.5k at 41hz on my tfe. Will get more power if i used a lower freq, 41hz is my loudest most efficient frequency. Id switch my amp out with a jbl crown in an instant if my ohm load permits.

id do some nasty things for someone to create a new amp similar to the crown

alpine has made some smart moves in that realm, unfortunately they try to stick to the entry level market where people can get their hands on it for obvious reasons

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.