loading??

Participant count
  • Participant list

RangerDangerV2
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
st cloud MN
ive heard the terms loading and unloading, referring to to subwoofers and their enclosures for those smart azzes out there. But what exactly do they mean?? I know you can "load" a sub into a wall or other structure, and I have heard the term "unload", as in my sub is unloading... just trying to further my accoustical knowledge. and thanks in advance.

well from my understanding loading occurs when the back wave of the sub reflecting back at the sub is in phase wit the front wave thus making the sub work harder yet have more control over the cone where as unloading would be the opposite and creating a situation where the back wave is out of phase working against the sub abd not allowing the sub to have full control over the cone. this likely happens at really low frequencies that is determined by the box design but is generally 10-15hz lower than the tune of the box

i may have the backwards or something but thats my understanding though it may be completely wrong

so unloading would be when the subwoofer moves but it is inaudible?? because if that is the case mine unloads at about 15hz ish and im tuned to 40...

so unloading would be when the subwoofer moves but it is inaudible?? because if that is the case mine unloads at about 15hz ish and im tuned to 40...
yea and no

just because it is inaudible doesnt mean it is unloading your ears can only hear such low frequencies then its just feeling anyway but with some burp boxes with massive ports and tiny airspace would only play, tuned to 40hz, 38-45hz before the sub would unload and damage itself

unloading is basically when the sub looses control over the cone

ive heard the terms loading and unloading, referring to to subwoofers and their enclosures for those smart azzes out there. But what exactly do they mean?? I know you can "load" a sub into a wall or other structure, and I have heard the term "unload", as in my sub is unloading... just trying to further my accoustical knowledge. and thanks in advance.
as you said, loading and unloading is just slang for the compression effects cause by the air mass in front or the cone or the air trapped in the box. Like you said. corner loading. or loading a sub close to a wall, or by it sitting on a flat surface even... or, like when a box is too big or too small for a specific sub, it is usually referred to as improper loading...Unloading, is referred to the undesirable effects of loss of compression by the sub box being too far away from the corner, or wall or even in extreme cases, by opening a car door at 155dbs..lol. And inside the box, unloading occurs when the sub loses compression below tuning frequency and begins to act uncontrollably. this can be exaggerated by too big of a port opening, or even port placement in proximity to the sub.....basically they are slang terms used to identify compression characteristics....improper loading can cause the sub to exceed xmax, or the opposite would be VC overheating due to too much compression.

Good topic...and hopefully others will chime in and correct me if my ideas are wacked..lol

that is because it is operating at a frequency below the humanthreshold of hearing...you prolly feel it more that anything, or perhaps port noise in the upper frequencies

I think too, some of the computer generated music can contain frequencies way down low, by accident is my guess. I have played some digitized music like dubstep and noticed my subs moving at like 10 hz or something...slow in and out, looks like the sub is about to jump out of the basket, and I am cussing and freakin out..lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

RangerDangerV2

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
RangerDangerV2
st cloud MN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date