October 4, 2006
FLUSHING, New York (Ticker) - The New York Mets will be without righthander Orlando Hernandez for the National League Division Series.
The 38-year-old Hernandez has a Grade 2 proximal gastroc tear of the right calf and was not placed on the team's postseason roster for the NLDS against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Hernandez, who was scheduled to start the series opener on Wednesday afternoon, suffered the injury while jogging in the outfield during a light workout on Tuesday. Rookie John Maine, who pitched last Friday in Washington, will start Game One for the Mets against Derek Lowe of the Dodgers.
Hernandez's injury is the latest setback to the Mets, who already are without ace righthander Pedro Martinez for the rest of the postseason due to calf and rotator cuff injuries. In addition, righthander Steve Trachsel left the team last weekend to attend to a personal matter. He rejoined the team on Tuesday.
"In the last week and a half, I've never experienced anything like this," Mets manager Willie Randolph said.
Tom Glavine will start Game Two for the Mets on Thursday night. He threw a 60-pitch bullpen session on Tuesday before Hernandez injured his calf.
Hernandez, acquired from the Arizona Diamondbacks in late May, was a combined 11-11 with a 4.66 ERA this year. The Cuban righthander has been a dominant postseason pitcher, posting a 9-3 record with the New York Yankees and Chicago White Sox.
The Mets finished with the best record in the National League at 97-65, but the road to the World Series now looks more difficult.
"We can't afford to feel sorry for ourselves," Mets third baseman David Wright said.
Updated on Wednesday, Oct 4, 2006 11:02 am EDT