KRK - your opinons...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Pull9Gs
10+ year member

1.21 GIGAWATTS?!
England
Im considering buying a pair of KRK V6s.

I was wondering what people thought of these monitors and of KRK in general?

Ive heard the V8s, Rokit 5s and Roket 6s, but have yet to find a local store that has got the V6s on demo, so was just looking for other sources of info.

Im hoping to use them with a MK KX-12, and possibly a Rotel 06 series Pre-Amp and CD.

Also what do you think of this setup???

Cheers

Well...

Studio monitors are going to bend to be dry and a bit on the bland side. More technical sounding than musical (which some people like, my B&W 703 are more dry than the 804S and I like them better even though the 804 has some clear advantages over the 703.)

Anyway, I have never heard them, but I would imagine the 06 Rotel equipment should match alright with out any issues with them. Rotel is pretty natural sounding.

I just have to say what I tell everyone who is looking for speakers, go listen to them. It seems like you have already heard some of the series of Loudspeakers, but the V6s might sound completely different than the Rokits.

What is your budget btw? And have you looked into anything else model or brand wise?

Firstly cheers for the response joetama

I know that they are studio monitors and that is what has stopped me buying them already, because I am worried about the harsh or dry sound. My system is going to be at home and is not studio based at all. I will be listening to music 90% of the time and films the other 10%, fyi.

I am after active speakers, but in the market as it is at the moment I cant find any active “home” (as opposed to studio) speakers that aren’t $60k Meridians. All there seems to be is active studio monitors.

I suppose my budget is about $3000, which is roughly £1500 for me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

I have listened to a range in stores including:

Satellites:

M&K K5

M&K K7 -Fav out of this lot

M&K K15

M&K K17

KEF KHT 200 Satellites only

B&W M-1 Satellites only

(none of above active)

Full range:

B&W 300 series bookshelf’s

KEF iQ3

Focal Chorus 706 V

KRK Rokit 5

KRK Rokit 6

KRK V8 - Fav out of this lot

(only KRKs active)

Online I have looked a lot, brands including:

Electronics: Rotel*, NAD, Naim*, Audio Analogue*, Audio Note*, Roksan are the main ones.

Speakers/subs: M&K*, B&W, KRK*, KEF, Focal, Tannoy*, PMC*(must look more into these), Samson, Alesis, Behringer, Mackie, Dynaudio*, Quad

Now I’ve just read this through it looks a bit pointless me just listing what I have looked at. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif I just put some asterisks* up there for companies I like to make it mean at least something…

Suggestions for active speakers to use at home would be great, full range or satellites, as I am now really struggling

Cheers

Are you looking for bookshelfs only? Or would floor standers interest you?

Why not take some of that $3000 (would have said pounds but I don't have the key for it) and buy an amp?

Im looking for bookshelf's really due to space taken up and ease of transportation etc.

I want to have active speakers, I could easy go down the route of having an amp, such as a Rotel RA-06 with a pair of M&K K7s and the M&K KX12, but I like the idea/principal of active speakers...

Thanks again

i have mint condition pair of krk v6 i'd be willing to part with, only a few hours on them, they are excellent at accuratly reproducing sound. I have my grandfathers jbl's now, but i have the orginal boxes for my v6's, let me know

joetama: Cheers for the suggestion on those speakers, I have heard of the brand but hadn’t looked into their range. They look to make a range of home hifi active speakers, with the Classic series Compact fitting my needs. Firstly before I go out of my mind trying to find a store that stocks these and KRKs (or even the Adam’s alone) does anybody rate these speakers? I assume that you (joetama) do???

Dtour: Thanks for the offer of the speakers. What is your reason for changing speakers? If you could be honest that would be a great help as I am looking for new kit only, and I doubt that shipping to England will be very cheap…You could really help my decision…

Cheers for the responses, and if anybody else knows of any active home hifi speakers and could let me know that would be great.

Well... Finding a store that stocks them is going to be a bit of a trouble I am sure...

However, I have head the ADAM Studio Monitors in a home stereo setting. To be honest, they kicked ass. If I hadn't fallen in love with my 703s I probably would have picked up a pair of them. They are a bit dry and technical, as any studio monitor is, but they are still very musical.

It is VERY hard to tell someone what to get. And, in the active studio monitor/home audio realm it is going to be hard to find some where to demo them. You might try looking around at studios. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

But, good luck in your search. Any specific questions you got?

they jbl's i have now automatically correct themsleves for the acoustics of the room, they are very smart monitors, the krk's are just as good, you just need to have a relativly flat room, right now i live in a hardwood floor apartment, acoustics for recording are a nightmare, but they sound exceptional near field, and have plently of headroom for volume if you have a nice dry sounding room

I have been into my local home Hifi store again today and had a chat with one of the guys in there.

I spoke to him about using active (studio) monitors in the home environment. He had heard of KRK, but hadn’t actually heard them.

He recommended that I go down the passive with amp route (which I am sure 99.9% of his customers do) and we went through the M&K satellites line up again. Sure, I like these satellites, and would most likely get the M&K L36s with an M&K KX12 sub and Rotel 06 electronics if I were to go down this route; but I am unable to convince myself as I still want an active setup.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif:crap:

I also think that the L36s or even a step down to the K17s would sound better than the KRK V6s in the situation that I am using them for…

Basically what I learnt (or mainly told) from this visit is:

That I should be using satellites (as opposed to full range) with a sub - due to "wasting" power in the mid-range - especially with active speakers, due to not using all of the power of one of the bi-amps because the sub with be playing some of those freqs.

That a passive and amp setup will generally sound better????? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

What is you guys opinion on these?

Also I have found out that M&K are known to be quite forward (due to the studio background I guess), but I should not take this as an issue.

Could anybody suggest anything that is a good satellite, which would beat the M&Ks (I assume they are one of the top)?

Cheers

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Pull9Gs

10+ year member
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!
Pull9Gs
England
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date