Kenwood vs PPI 5-channel?

Will Sanders

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a compact 5-channel amp to drive the factory 2-ohm Bose speakers and subwoofer in my 2004 Mercedes ML500. The factory Bose amp was tiny enough to fit behind the dash and was mounted to the firewall. My goal is to mount a new amplifier in roughly the same location.

I am torn between the Kenwood KAC-7005PS and the PPI 900.5, both of which cost about $200. The Kenwood seems more popular and I'm familiar with the brand, but it's larger than the PPI and I'm not sure how I feel about the internal fan. I haven't heard of PPI, but it will fit more easily in the small space behind the dash and it will run silently. The PPI also appears to have more power.

Which amp would be a better choice?

The PPI have a cult following for being an excellent value. If you posted a poll here I would bet that the PPI would get twice the votes of the Kenwood.

I have two of the kenwoods. It's a good solid amp, it will run all 5 ch @ 2 ohms without a problem... been railing on them that way for over 6 months, no issues.

I just did a 134db, to music, in my old 91 work truck on that Kwood amp and a 16yr old used 12" sub. Sealed, on the dash Termlab Magnum ....

Hey everyone,
I'm looking for a compact 5-channel amp to drive the factory 2-ohm Bose speakers and subwoofer in my 2004 Mercedes ML500. The factory Bose amp was tiny enough to fit behind the dash and was mounted to the firewall. My goal is to mount a new amplifier in roughly the same location.

I am torn between the Kenwood KAC-7005PS and the PPI 900.5, both of which cost about $200. The Kenwood seems more popular and I'm familiar with the brand, but it's larger than the PPI and I'm not sure how I feel about the internal fan. I haven't heard of PPI, but it will fit more easily in the small space behind the dash and it will run silently. The PPI also appears to have more power.

Which amp would be a better choice?
Those are two different classes of amps. The Kenwood is an AB/D amp (according to Crutchfield) meaning that the four front channels are run by a Class AB amp and the sub amp is a Class D. The PPI is a full range Class D amp. Now, some people will say you get better SQ from the AB amp (you can get a long debate on this) and I generally follow this line of thinking. Class AB amps do run a little hot and I would not recommend an installation behind the dashboard, even if it did fit. The PPI, being a Class D and is much more efficient, thus will not get nearly as hot and, as you noted, is much smaller.

Personally, I like Arc Audio amps. But, they are out of your price range, unless you are willing to get a used one. Then, you could get one in your price range. An Arc Audio XDi 1100.5 (150wx4, 500wx1 RMS @2ohms) just sold on Ebay for $212. It is one of the few Class D amps I would consider. Here is a link to an article about the Arc Audio XDi Class D amps that changed my mind about their Class D amps:

PASMAG | PERFORMANCE AUTO AND SOUND - Arc Audio XDi 600.4 Amplifier Review

It rates their 4-channel amp but, also, talks much about Class D topology and is why I like their current Class D amps.

But, of the two you are considering, I would probably choose the Kenwood (mainly because of the Class AB rating) and install it in the trunk. But, if you have to have it in the dash, then the PPI would have to be the choice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.