Kenwood upgrade from factory wiring question.

Participant count
  • Participant list

tekfire07

CarAudio.com Newbie
I am considering upgrading my factory radio in my 07 Chrysler Town and Country with the Infinity sound system. I am reading conflicting information regarding the stereo install. Could someone possibly clear up the information for me?

I want to upgrade to the Kenwood DNX696S with XM,CMOS-230 and DRV-N520 camera's. i also want to retain the factory steering wheel controls.

My confusion comes with the factory amp. Do I have to by pass it? I would like to retain it, if possible. I am completely happy with the speakers. Some people tell me I have to by pass it or install a after market amp. I have also read it is recommended to upgrade to after market speakers. if you by pass the amp, to prevent burning out the speakers.

Hopefully someone can clear this up for me.
Thanks in advance for your time and any help you can provide.
Erik C.

I am considering upgrading my factory radio in my 07 Chrysler Town and Country with the Infinity sound system. I am reading conflicting information regarding the stereo install. Could someone possibly clear up the information for me?

I want to upgrade to the Kenwood DNX696S with XM,CMOS-230 and DRV-N520 camera's. i also want to retain the factory steering wheel controls.

My confusion comes with the factory amp. Do I have to by pass it? I would like to retain it, if possible. I am completely happy with the speakers. Some people tell me I have to by pass it or install a after market amp. I have also read it is recommended to upgrade to after market speakers. if you by pass the amp, to prevent burning out the speakers.

Erik C.
Why would you have to bypass it. The amp is already connected to the speakers. All you need is a remote wire.

Erik C.
Have you considered:
  • PAC ROEM-CHR Chrysler Radio Replacement Interface w/ Infinity Sound System
  • SKU: PAC13-ROEM-CHR
  • Plugin installation retains factory wiring integrity
  • Transformer isolated for optimal sound and performance
  • Maintains correct phasing
  • Retains the function of the factory-installed amplified sound system
Not sure about the steering wheel control interface. Might want to contact them for more info.
https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalog/radio-replacement/swi-rc

Why would you have to bypass it. The amp is already connected to the speakers. All you need is a remote wire.

So if I understand what you are saying correctly. All I need to do is connect the Kenwood harness into my factory harness and then run the blue and white wire to my factory amp. Is this correct? My van has six speakers that are 2 ohm. Crutchfield says that I have to bypass the amp because the head unit is 4 ohms and can only drive 4 speakers. So I need to bypass the amp and then install 4 new speakers and replace the 2 dash speakers with 1inch tweeters. I am so confused as to what is correct. I have installed several car stereos. But I have never done anything with Amplifiers. I hope someone can help me out.

So if I understand what you are saying correctly. All I need to do is connect the Kenwood harness into my factory harness and then run the blue and white wire to my factory amp. Is this correct? My van has six speakers that are 2 ohm. Crutchfield says that I have to bypass the amp because the head unit is 4 ohms and can only drive 4 speakers. So I need to bypass the amp and then install 4 new speakers and replace the 2 dash speakers with 1inch tweeters. I am so confused as to what is correct. I have installed several car stereos. But I have never done anything with Amplifiers. I hope someone can help me out.
So with upgrading to a new head unit you will need obviously the corresponding wiring harness. The amplifier has a ground, power and remote wire. The existing wiring going to your stock unit should have the wire already there so when you switch out the harness you will connect the remote to the new line (blue and white)

So with upgrading to a new head unit you will need obviously the corresponding wiring harness. The amplifier has a ground, power and remote wire. The existing wiring going to your stock unit should have the wire already there so when you switch out the harness you will connect the remote to the new line (blue and white)
Thank for the help. That's what I was thinking. But the more I researched it. The more I got confused.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.