Kenwood Security Code

Louisiana_CRX
5,000+ posts

dem shoes......
I helped a friend change his battery today. He had a Kenwood single DIN MP3 player in the dash...Well we hooked up the battery and now the stereo says to enter a code....It worked fine before...in fact he said his favorite CD was in it ....He bought the truck used about 3 months ago from a car lot....We called them they new nothing of a code said the truck came from auction...Does anyone know an overide code to get this CD player back working? I wrote the model down but don't have it hear right now. If that is needed I'll get that and post it later...

I've never heard of an override code?.......does it limit the functions if you use it? It doesn't seem like it would be much of a security feature if all you have to do to circumvent the security is look up an override code! I was told you had to have your sales receipt, and that it would have to go back to the factory......I hope it's actually that hard and not some bypass for it.

Regards Sonny

That's what I was thinking. I just checked the manual again and the way it's worded almost makes it sound like one you power it back up, going to steps 4 though 7......you can choose a new code. I know when I had mine out a while back, and put it back in I took a guess on the code and it shut down, I finally remembered the code I had programmed in, and it worked perfectly again. it just doesn't make sense to have a security system with an override code.

The manual even says write down the code and put it in a safe place in case the unit is powered down or removed.

Regards Sonny

isn't there a certain limit of how much codes you can put in until it really locks up? some of the oem radios are like that but im uncertain of the kenwoods.

I think on my X459, it's 4 tries and your out........"Are all Kenwoods like this"?......I would hope all HU's were like that if the security is turned on! Why would you want a security system that, if you removed it from power, IE stealing it, could be turned back on by powering it up and punching in a new code? If that was the case, I know I'd never turn the security on because it would be worthless. Same as in the old days, if you stole a radio without a faceplate you couldn't get a faceplate unless you could prove ownership, unless you had a unreputable shop get it for you, "for a price"

Not to say anyone here is stealing radios and then trying to circumvent the security with an overide. That's the downfall of buying a car with a security system equipped HU, unless you get the security code, your going to be SOL when you need a new battery.

My suggestion if you ever buy a car with an aftermarket HU, and the security is turned on...it should tell you that when you power it on, I would make sure either the dealer had the security code, or they could get the security code for you before you purchased the car..........if not, I'd ask for a reduction in price, even if it was a 1000.00 unit.....because sooner or later...it's going to bite you!

Regards Sonny

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.