kenwood HU Problem

Participant count
  • Participant list

skylineTT
10+ year member

bass=sekz
i bought this HU secondhand and got a great deal on it. when i power it up, the face will tilt downward, but i cant turn the display on. then it will randomly tilt back up but still cant power. tried the little reset button, and holding every single button on the face to turn it on. cant figure it out though. is there a weird process with these?

its the kenwood kdc-x689.. looks to be a very high dollar HU and i like the specs. let me know! thanks

i bought this HU secondhand and got a great deal on it. when i power it up, the face will tilt downward, but i cant turn the display on. then it will randomly tilt back up but still cant power. tried the little reset button, and holding every single button on the face to turn it on. cant figure it out though. is there a weird process with these?
its the kenwood kdc-x689.. looks to be a very high dollar HU and i like the specs. let me know! thanks
I know this sounds weird, but check your yellow wire. Most head units just keep time etc on the yellow wire and do almost everything else from the switched red wire, but head units will act like this if the yellow or red is broken, shorted, or a fuse is blown. Make sure to check your fuses. It doesn't take much to pop one when installing a new head unit. If you want to test, just find any 12v source and hook it up to both yellow and red and give black ground. If the unit does not function properly THEN.... you have a bad unit. If it does, the unit is fine but your wires supplying the power to the unit are bad.

kenwoods had issues with display backlight.

the onboard resistors would get desoldered and display stops working.

i fixed about 4-5 of them by resoldering every onboard resistor i could find and it worked

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.