Kenwood Excelon VS Alpine

installerblizz

Hey guys. I haven't had to buy a head unit in quite some time and was wondering if any of you would be willing to share any experiences you have had with the current line-up of either the Kenwood's Excelon receivers or Alpine's. I am considering the top model from both companies. My current set up is an Eclipse 5504, XA5000, Polk MM651's, Polk MM691's, and a Dayton Audio RSS390HO in a sealed, stuffed box. The sound is perfect, but the Eclipse deck is so outdated - it hates scratched CD's, has a crap tuner, doesn't play MP3's, etc. I want to replace it with something that has the same crystal clear sound that I've grown used to, with some modern extras. Thanks in advance to any who chime in.

You can't beat eclipse bro hate to tell ya lol.

I listened to both, usually I side with alpine, but when I was listening to both I did perfer the top kenwoods. Personally I'd try to get a new eclipse XD

Crap. I was afraid of that. Do the newer Eclipse CD players like the 5030 sound as clear as the older ones like mine?

EDIT - I am willing to sacrifice a bit of SQ for a good FM tuner. I've never heard an Eclipse that had a good FM tuner.

People seem to love them from what i've heard....My FM tuner rocks...I was impressed by it when i listened to the radio lately. (haven't done that in a long time)

I'm actually thinking about trying to find a new one, I have an eclipse CD 7100, If I get a new HU if you want that one I'd obviously be willing to part with it....its a great great HU sound quality is amazing and I have all I want out of a HU from it...I'm just thinking about catching up with the times.

I had ordered the Alpine CDE-HD148BT, but then I read where someone who was used to the sound of the Pioneer 880PRS tried out that deck and was disappointed with the sound quality. Having owned the 880PRS myself a few years back, I found this very disconcerting. So I cancelled my order and waited patiently for an 880PRS to appear on eBay. I found one that has hardly been used at all! The guy never even used the RCA harness, so I knew the picco fuse was intact. The picco issue is why I was afraid to get another Pioneer and was considering another brand. Anyway, I put it in last night, connecting the RCA's last, with the unit powered OFF - actually with the faceplate off just to be sure it didn't turn on - and everything is fine. The level of detail blows the Eclipse 5504 away.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.