JL or RE

showtm490
10+ year member

GA
Looking to finally purchase a 10. I've been looking at too many lately but believe I've decided between the JL W3 2ohm or the RE SRX 10D4. I'm limited on space and going for sq in a ported box hopefully tuned to 35hz. The RE seems to need less air space and a better sub but I've never heard a RE. Any opinions on either?

The amp will be the Alpine MRX V70 that'll fit under the passenger seat while powering a set of ID CTX65CS and the sub. I've been told its best to run the ID mids on one channel and the tweets on another. When doing that is the ID crossover even needed?

Under $200 for the sub.

Under $400 for the amp.

I'm looking at ID products now and the Image Dynamics i5800 looks like a decent amp along with the Polk Audio PA D5000.5 and Kicker 10ZX700.5.

I can vouch for the ZX amp but I haven't messed with the other 2 so I don't know much about them. For 200 bucks though, I wouldn't be looking at JL or the new RE stuff (I wouldn't buy anything from RE anymore regardless of price). Just looking through the classifieds, it seems that there are some 10's floating around in there for a good price that would slap all of the 200 dollar JL stuff. Let some of the guys here give you a few different suggestions to help steer you in the right direction.

for the 200 dollar range, you're most likely going to get some suggestions like sundown SA, obsidian audio, SSA Dcon/Gcon, etc. I never remember all of the diff subs for each power range from each company but a lot of these guys do.

Also, I know you're going to SQ also so image is good if you can get a deal and dayton as well. Maybe some of the other members have some more info for you.

At $100 RE SRX is not a bad subwoofer. Decent sensitivity and power handling. 18mm xmax. I had the 12 inch version for some time. However, the RE subwoofers haven't been updated for some time. With $100 budget, I would have been all over the new 2012 alpine Type S, SWS-10D2/D4. The cost about $100 online. They're supposed a big improvement over the old version, in terms of both SQ and SPL. Another budget subwoofer that I really like is Infinity Kappa 120.9w. It's a fantastic subwoofer for the money. Works great in a reasonable sealed box (1cu ft), digs low, great SQ and output.

get an SSA Gcon

GCON-10 Sound Solutions Audio 10" 750W GCON Series Subwoofer - SSA STORE

GCON_10_02__06864_zoom.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

showtm490

10+ year member
showtm490
GA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from