Jensen JTE 603 Cabinet Speakers rebuild.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Turbogus

Hi Gang,

I've got a pair of these speakers behind the seats in 'Easy Bake' my black panel van.

5801885688_3865776141.jpg

They've been in various rigs I've owned for a few decades now and they've served well enen when amplified modestly.

13045996004_0f8726ce17_c.jpg

Given their age and this climate we have in the PacNW the rubberesque parts of the drivers for these speakers has rotted away. These seem to measure between 5 1/4 to 5 1/2 inches and while I could modify these particle board enclosures I'm not looking to build a thump thump system, rather just rock out on the freeway to the likes of Foghat, ARS and others. Does anyone know how to accurately detirmine the size of these speakers? What I mean is, is it by the size of the hole? The size of the mounting ring? or the distace between the mounting holes? Sorry for this simplistic question but it's been many a moon since I've component upgraded speaker cabinets.

Thanks and a lift of the lynch lid for your help.

Well, I've detirmined the hole to be 5 5/8" diameter

13109769763_d60bca1f5a_c.jpg

with clearance of 3 1/2" on the horizontal. These speakers are being driven by a Pioneer 100W per channel amp. Any reccomendations for reliable speakers would be very helpful. I have I understand as terrible horrific sub standard speakers coming from Sonic Electronics on friday and, as I understand it from other forums that I should make arrangements for return of these speakers without even trying them. So given this setup I'm hopiong for a reasonable and reliable maker of 5 1/2" speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a call back from Sonic Electronix and returns are 100% no restocking fee if I simply return 'em. They have available Kenwood KFC1395 PS for around 50 clams and Alpine SPR50's at a lil' over 100 clams. Any opinions?+

image_product01_big.jpg

482_1lg.jpg

It's looking like these have a wider freq. resp. than the Goldwood or GRS's in the 5 1/4", so despite the cost, I'm leaning toward the Kenwoods for the moment.

The box measures 3 1/2 x 9 1/2 x 16 1/2" internally, if I remember how to figure cubic feet it'd be .29

What with the bass tube the low ends are just fine with these boxes

Have u looked at the exodous anarchy 6.5s i think those would be great in a box. I just put my 6.5s CDT HD m6+ in a box and sounds nice.

Well, time to go to plan B, since I'd have to mod the boxes for any speakers Sonic has to offer in pairs of 5 1/4, 5 3/4, 6 or 8 inches mounting hole I'm going with venerable Pioneer 6x9's. Similar specs to the killers I have in my CJ. Going to arrive in only three days (provided UPS doesn't leaver a trailer behind again)

Edit: Got the holes cut for the Pioneer TS-A6965R's and installed 'em with the included hardware. First fire up and these really came alive! Going to trim the balance and Fader on my way home tonight but it seems the original speakers couldn't take advantage of the old Pioneer amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.