Installing receiver on a car that already has an aftermarket headunit

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bsmith

Hi guys, hopefully this will be easy enough for the tech gurus here.

I just purchased a 01 Civic and it already had an Aiawa headunit installed in it. I guess it was sufficient but since I work at a dealership and people trade in cars with aftermarket head units I knew the chance to upgrade to my brand of choice (Alpine) was only a trade away. Today we got a car with one and I started the process of swapping them out.

Here is my issue. With a factory stereo it's easy enough to get the appropriate adaptor and plug it up. In this case I just don't know what would be the easiest route.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Alpine unit im wanting to put in is a CDA-9856.

Is there a connector that I can pick up some where or will I just have to cut out the Aiawa plug from the car I took it out of and swap them?

Thanks.

if the original stereo worked properly , just cut the aiwa plug off and connect the wires of the alpine. the color code should be the same. so take the red wire on the alpine and connect it where the red wire on the aiwa went , and so on , and so on. the remaining wires off the alpine should be taped up. those go to dimmer and cell phone mute and other accessories. just tape those off.

if the original stereo worked properly , just cut the aiwa plug off and connect the wires of the alpine. the color code should be the same. so take the red wire on the alpine and connect it where the red wire on the aiwa went , and so on , and so on. the remaining wires off the alpine should be taped up. those go to dimmer and cell phone mute and other accessories. just tape those off.
I have pics but when I try to submit this post with pic url's where I put "Wont let me post pics", it says "post denied. New posts are limited by number of url's is may contained checked if it doesnt contain forbidden words". Whats up with that?

Thanks for the reply and sorry for not getting back sooner, I just created my account here and need to set my notifications.

There are no wires coming from the Alpine. Here are pics of the wires from the Civic and from the back of the Alpine.

Here is the Alpine head unit. I know that the black input is for the radio antenna, not sure about the blue s-video configuration looking input is for. Maybe a sub or amp controller?

Wont let me post photos

This is behind where the stereo goes (cant think of correct terminology here). Blue plug went into the old Aiawa head unit and the other is the antenna.

Wont let me post photos

The puzzling thing is that in the car I took the Alpine unit from you can clearly see where the installer cut whatever plugged into the factory unit and used wire crimps/twist caps to install the correct plug for the alpine. But in the Civic I can find no evidence of any aftermarket installation. No cut wires or anything. Is is possible that the Aiawa unit that was in there and the factory Honda head unit had the same plug?

Thanks again!

if there are no wires coming outta the alpine you will first need to order a alpine wiring harness off of ebay. then get back here to get some further assistance. gotta have the alpine plug to do anything. they are like 6 dollars.

How do I post pics? I read the forum FAQ but it doesnt make sense to me. Hell BasinBuick, I can shoot you a txt pic if you want to pm me your cell#!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.