? installing a voltmeter

MkKin420
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ohio
I picked up this little digital volt meter, like xscorpion or some shh, anyways... I want to use it to monitor the voltage at my amp, should I run a single lead from the positive wire to the amp, fuse it and put a switch on it, and ground it to the chassis or run a 2 conductor hook up wire so I can connect it to both terminals at the amp?

Ground it to chassis. and run power to amp. It should shut off on its own, Unless you've got a drain in your elec system. Then it turns back on when the system voltage changes.

i had mine hooked up to the amp w/ no switch/fuse.
i just had the positive in the amps remote and negative in amp's negative terminal.
The remote will give you voltage to your HU, not the amp. If you want to measure the voltage delivered to the amp you must use the amp's supply point , NOT the remote. In any event, fuse it as close as possible to the amp. No need to run the ground to the amp, anywhere convenient will do. A switch would eliminate parasitic battery drain if you don't have an ignition relay controlling your amp's feed.

So you're measuring battery voltage, not voltage delivered to the amp. It all depends where you want to measure voltage and for what reason.
yep..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif;)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.