Insight on two drivers I know little about. AVI vs. Illusion

Participant count
  • Participant list
Yes I'm open to anything, I've just had my eye on these two sets. I'm up for Madisound or PE drivers, but size is really whats limiting me. Can't be a 7" driver or something 4" deep.

Also will be running Hertz HT25 tweeters, already have them installed. I got them cheap.

Here are some very nice sounding mids that aren't too deep. It all really depends on where you want your crossover points to be, as well as how low you're actually able to cross those Hertz tweeters. Also, why won't 7" woofers work, it's just an extra half inch. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_256&products_id=8614 3" deep

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_256&products_id=8688

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_256&products_id=789 (right at 7")

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_256&products_id=8766

Peerless 830883 6-1/2" Nomex Cone HDS Woofer | Parts-Express.com

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_256&products_id=8439

As you can tell there are just a ton of nice woofers in the 50-100 dollar range. It really depends on what kind of sound you like and what specific qualities you're looking for.

I could fit whatever size if I build kicks. I'm still debating on whether to do kicks or doors for the mids. I was going to cross the tweets at around 2.5k. Per the Hertz manual that came with them it states: Minimum filtering: HT 25: Hi-pass 2.5kHz @ 12 dB Oct.

I planned to cross the mids over at 80-100 Hz on the low end and ~3k on the high end. I still need to brush up on my octaves knowledge, I have a basic knowledge but when it comes to tuning i know it's everything.

As for sound, just rich clear sound, I listen to a wide variety of music, almost every genre. So really just a musical, rich, mid with decent low end. I'm going to be either running a single sub setup or a pair of mid bass in my rear deck or kick panels if I do mids in the doors for the low end.

I'll take a gander at those drivers, thanks! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Also that was 125 for the pair...

Ah, I thought you mean up to 125 each. If you plan on running a 6.5"er up to 3khz you're going to want them fairly on axis in kick panels since beaming will start to occur around 2-2.25khz and you'll notice that the vocals will start to pull more towards the right door(if used on doors) since it's more on axis than the driver door.

Excellent info, I've somehow never ran across that info. I read a lot, so this post has been a long time coming.

They would be on axis in my doors, due to the speaker bracket that in my doors. It's a hard plastic bracket that has the stock speakers on axis, hence the 6.5" restriction. I had 6.5" revs in them at one time off the HU. They were psychically 6.25'' and were snug. But I'm sure I can do some modifying to get a bigger driver to fit. The only reason I'm using the stock bracket is because I can't even use a 1/2" baffle under the door panel, just no room the way everything fits so tight. Also if I did a off axis baffle, they'd be firing partly into the door panel, not a clear shot into the car. It's a 2001 Grand Prix BTW.

If I build kicks, they too would be on axis.

I'd still go with kicks if they won't be too intrusive on your foot placement and you can get a clear shot to your ears. Putting them in kicks will make their path lengths to your head more similar, so you'll have fewer amplitude issues than them being in the doors and the driver side being much closer than passenger side. IMO it'd just make it easier to tune, and would allow you to easily use a 7" mid(and perhaps deeped mids).

That was my philosophy too, I wouldn't have to worry about water and the door treatment. I can definitely use whatever driver I want in the kicks. They'll be in the way a little bit but that's okay with me. So in that case, any different recommendations. Staying around 125 for a pair???

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.