If I have dual voice coil subs...

Ok, cool, thanks man. Now would it matter if I used a different gauge wire to connect the voice coils together than the gauge of wire going out to the amp? I am currently using 8-gauge wire to the amp. Should I use 8-gauge for the voice coil connections too?

depends on how many watts your sub is.....

but most subs don't/won't need 8Awg wire going to the terminals.. maybe some 10-12Awg depending on the sub? what sub is it

Since it is such a short run it should not matter what size wire you run so long as you keep it above 16guage tho it is nice to utilize the same size wire thruout the entire run which would include the other voice coil.

above 16Awg? are you crazy! i tihnk you mean under, as in a smaller number..// nobody even uses 16Awg for subs.. those are way to small for current to flow for a sub, you need a smaller number...

Normally when people say "keep your wire above 16ga". they mean to use a bigger wire, meaning smaller number.

I find that the system for gauging wires is confusing. Most of the time bigger is better. I say most because you would use 000ga wire to carry a 0.25 amp load, just a waste.

Maybe a 250 amp load, but even then you only need 1 or 0 gauge. I'm using 10ga to carry 150amp and no problems. Alot of people have told me to go up to 4ga. but I don't need it. The voltage at my amps is still 12.5 volts. Seeing as most car batteries charge to about 12.6 - 12.8 this doesn't seem like too much of a loss to me.

The main idea for using larger size wires to carry larger loads is because all, and I mean ALL, conductors have a resistance value. Most of the time this resistance just transfers the electrical energy into heat. Smaller wire will resist large loads more and so create more heat. This can eventually end up with burnt insulation o the wire, or worse yet, turn your car into a really expensive bon fire.

A basic note to keep in mind with wires, If you are not sure, go bigger, it'll cost more, but not more than a new car

Originally posted by more_spl above 16Awg? are you crazy! i tihnk you mean under, as in a smaller number..// nobody even uses 16Awg for subs.. those are way to small for current to flow for a sub, you need a smaller number...
What is a step above 16guage? Oh yeah that would be 14guage! Now what is above 14guage? Hmmmmm maybe 12guage? Sorry if I am being a synical ******* here, but most people knew that when I said "Above 16awg" that I was refering to a lower number and larger wire. Sorry for the mix up there.

Originally posted by more_spl above 16Awg? are you crazy! i tihnk you mean under, as in a smaller number..// nobody even uses 16Awg for subs.. those are way to small for current to flow for a sub, you need a smaller number...
A larger gauge for 250wrms? Pshawww....

Excellent point Jlaine! It would take the master to notice the wattage being pushed thru there too and not just call it right off the top of his head. I bow down to you. LOL

Yeah, think I should get bigger wire then. Cuz I really don't want a massive fire in my trunk eventually spreading to my entire car thus blowing it up. Heh, it's already happened to me. Not a literal fire, but lets just say I totalled the car. Yeah, it ******. But anyway, I'm think I'll go with 10awg. Thanks for the help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.