How to PROPERLY pack and ship a heavy battery!

basscort2009
5,000+ posts

Banned
dallas tx
Ok I have heard many horror stories on how people have mispacked batteries and get all these questions on how I pack mine. well there are 2 ways to do it and both work amazing and out of over 300 batteries in 3 years of doing battery sales i have only had 2 get damaged and one was because it went out of country and the other was because the fedex lady, yes lady droped the 80 lbs battery off the truck right onto the corner.

Step 1.

Buy a box big enough for the battery and a good amount of packaging.

The sprinters i just shipped were 12x10x6.75 so i got a 14x14x14 box.

Step 2.

put about 1.5.3 inches of packaging on the bottom since this is where the most weight will be at all times. i used 3 pieces of 1" styrofoam 14"x14" each.

IMAG0319.jpg

Step 3.

Put the Battery in the center and pack around it completly and make sure its tight fitting but not too tight to were it makes the box bulge out. I used 1" pieces on each small side and 3 1" pieces on the longer sides.

IMAG0318.jpg

Step 4.

Put another 3-4" of packaging on the top of the battery. I did 4 1"x14"x14" pieces on top just because i figured during the holidays these things wil get stacked on top of each other to fit more crap on the truck. I actually could stand on top of the box it was so sturdy afterwards.

IMAG0320.jpg

Step 5.

TAPE! TAPE! TAPE! tape the flaps. then cross over the box with the flaps and across the flaps. then tape the seam on the side of the box so it doesnt blow apart from getting throw around so much. Then do the bottom or other side the exact same way. Double layer tape AT LEAST! you can never use enough tape. Its inexspensive and a life saver from careless shipping workers.

Total cost of shipping supplies.

Boxes-$3.00 each

Tape- $2.50 a roll

Styrofoam- $6 per battery

so it cost about $10-15 per battery to ship it right and be worry free.

Heres a couple of the 7 batteries I shipped out this week.

IMAG0321.jpg

Now heres the other way.

this way is a little easier it just takes longer but works just as good.

Step 1.

Repeat finding a good size box but u dont need AS MUCH room for packaging.

Step 2.

Put 1-2 1" styrofoam pieces on the bottom of the box

Step 3.

Put a styrofoam base around the battery

IMAG0294.jpg

Step 4.

wrap the battery in at least 2 thick trash bags and then tape them off making sure there are zero leaks in them. Be very careful in transfering as you can rip the bags.

IMAG0295.jpg

Step 5.

Then use 2 cans of Great Stuff Expanding Foam "Big Cracks" and unload them into the cracks and voids of the battery. make sure to get in there real good and fill it to about an inch from the top leaving room for expansion.

IMAG0296.jpg

Step 6.

wait about 12 hours for it to fully expand and dry and then TAPE TAPE TAPE it up.

Cost on this method is...

Box-$2.50 for the size I used

styrofoam-$2.50 per square

Expanding foam- $5 per can

So this method is about the same cost maybe a tad more but its all about preferance and desire on how you want to do it. hope this tutorial helps alot and stops the "packing peanuts" way of shipping 80-100 lbs batteries.

2 of those are mines and I feel extremely confident that they were packaged in the best possible way. Thanks again bro //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.