how to power Car audio with PC power supply?

Participant count
  • Participant list

CJL
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
oZone
How to power Car audio with PC power supply? I remember seeing a thread about this but search feature has been garbage lately.

Lets say the output spec on my PS is:

+3.3V@15A,+5V@15A,+12V@11A,-12V@0.9A,+5VSB@2.5A...

That shout be safe to power a HU since most of them use a 10a fuse correct?

For a temporary bench test setup, this is acceptable, but if this is going to be used for any significant length of time, stop being cheap and buy a real power supply. Or amp that's made for 120VAC use.

Yes, would be okay to use on a HU.

You might need to jump the enable pin on the power supply, on the ATX connector it will be a green wire, short it to ground with a paper clip or something for testing.

thatll work find. just get the 3r and 4th pin on the top row of the 20-24 pin connector and splice them together, then cut your long yellow wires and splice them together and the long black wires and splice them together. that gives you your power and ground. you can wire the HU up to those and it will work fine for any length of time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.