How much power to Cerwin Vega ?

vorgath
10+ year member

Looking at upgrading my system. The Cerwin Vega look like a deal right now

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=225

However how much does one need to feed them ? They're specified for 600W RMS, so one should give them at least 600W each ? (Planning on running two 10's or 12's)

Looking at some older Power Acoustic Gothic amps, seens some 1800W ones, so 500W RMS at 2 ohm per channel, however in reality they would give more like hmmmm 425-450 W correct ? So I would be underpowering the Vmax subs ? Their sensitivity is less than 90db, so they do require a bit more power ?

Right now running an old Infinity Reference 1042W fed by the old Profile 600MSX, problem is, both have been discontinued. I've been looking for an identical amp for 2 years or so now. 410W at 2ohm, it's alright.

The Cerwin Vega Vmax series, can they be run in a sealed box ? Would they sound as clean the Infinity ones or just louder ?

Let's put it this way, I spent maybe 200 total on my setup, looked around, got the VERY last MSX600 amp they had online, it was no longer listed the next day. I got the sub on sale at Circuit City.

So I know a good setup can be made real cheap, but I am just pretty clueless when it comes to which subs sound good or not.

Or would these Kicker sound better and be as loud .. or what ?

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=90

I want very good SQ, but louder if possible than the Infinity.

And yes in the future I intend to run some sort of components or at least bigger beefier speakers up front too, so some mid bass or something will be coming from the front stage as well, can't expect too much from 4 inch speakers mounted in the dash *LOL*

I'd take the the vmax's over kickers. Vmax's have really good sq for what you pay for them and get pretty loud off of 600 watts. The 1 15" vmax sealed in my buddies car on 600 rms was plenty for a sq daily driver.

But the Vmax do require at least 600W RMS, correct ? So feeding one of them say 410-480W RMS wouldn't really do it huh ?

What's up with Mach5Audio MAW-12, they can't take much power, right ?

But the Vmax do require at least 600W RMS, correct ? So feeding one of them say 410-480W RMS wouldn't really do it huh ?

What's up with Mach5Audio MAW-12, they can't take much power, right ?
wrong. they can take a beating. you dont unlock them until about 800 watts lol.

It all depends on how loud you want to get. There is a barely noticeable increase in output between 600 and 800 Watts on the same sub. Yes, you can feed them 500W and you'll be fine, there is no power requirement.

So should I go with MAW 12's or MAW 15's ?

Or for the price of MAW 15's go with Assassin 12's ?

I know how to build the box, how to wire etc, but I haven't heard too many different subs, so that's one area where I'm uhmmm clueless //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

A bigger box than the standard one.. for the Vmax 12 ?

Yeah I'd prefer not to loose any tight sound, if possible, but I want very good SQ, considering I'm running an Infinity right now, and it sounds alright.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.