Highoutput Altenator

Participant count
  • Participant list

yahhhyahhh

Senior VIP Member
I'm confused I got a quote for my Lexus gs300 and i looked at a quote from singer and Mechman and I'm confused because the highest they're Alts went up to for my car was 240 amps but I just got a quote from Apex and the highest they had was 320. I'm confused as to if I go over 240 would I mess up anything on my car? Or why can 1 company provide me with that much amps and the other don't go past 240?

No, you cant overdue it. As long as your cables from your alternator to battery and grounding cables are big enough, you cant overdue it, your just spending extra money that you don't need to. An alternator has a voltage regulator that keeps you from overcharging.

My only guess as far as why they don't make a larger size is: the market is not there to try to put those extra thousands of watts in a gs300. After all your possible vehicle electronics, a 240 amp alt has..... what... about 2,000 watts for a stereo. a 320 amp alt 3K-3.5K???? You can always find local companies that rebuild alternators for a special requested size, but I wouldn't think there is the need for that many for your make and model. You brought up mechman, I'm not going through there product catalog, but I'm sure the largest of alternators they sell are for engines that come in larger trucks and SUVs, (that have room for larger setups).

No, you cant overdue it. As long as your cables from your alternator to battery and grounding cables are big enough, you cant overdue it, your just spending extra money that you don't need to. An alternator has a voltage regulator that keeps you from overcharging.

My only guess as far as why they don't make a larger size is: the market is not there to try to put those extra thousands of watts in a gs300. After all your possible vehicle electronics, a 240 amp alt has..... what... about 2,000 watts for a stereo. a 320 amp alt 3K-3.5K???? You can always find local companies that rebuild alternators for a special requested size, but I wouldn't think there is the need for that many for your make and model. You brought up mechman, I'm not going through there product catalog, but I'm sure the largest of alternators they sell are for engines that come in larger trucks and SUVs, (that have room for larger setups).
So your saying the 240 is all I need and that I shouldn't go with the 320 even tho I'm thinking about upgrading power to maybe 6k to 8k in the future?

You will take what you can get when you use your stock alt case. My stock subaru could only be built to a 240. Now the car has 3 gm small case 270s. Like trying to put a 15" woofer in a 10x10x10 box.

You will take what you can get when you use your stock alt case. My stock subaru could only be built to a 240. Now the car has 3 gm small case 270s. Like trying to put a 15" woofer in a 10x10x10 box.
Apex said he can provide me with a 320amp 6 hairpin alt for my car so I might just go with that

wow u have 3 alts on a subaru?, how u do that? love to see pic of that..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

yahhhyahhh

Senior VIP Member
yahhhyahhh
Miami, Florida
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from