headers

use the correct model for your car and you will be fine.... better sound, deeper sound, more hp, less weight, lots of pro's very little con's unless set up wrong like denim said...

also makes your exhaust louder and sound better... lighter than most stock cast iron manifolds
just adding headers wont make it sound louder with the stock exhaust on.

pros: increased hp & torque with a performance exhaust, improved gas mileage

cons: none that i can think of

use the correct model for your car and you will be fine.... better sound, deeper sound, more hp, less weight, lots of pro's very little con's unless set up wrong like denim said...

not nessesarily, if i wanted to buy a header for my car i'd have to buy one for a pinto or a ranger.

pros-

more hp @ higher rpms

better fuel economy

cons-

less torque @ lower rpms

higher temps in engine compartment

i've had three sets of headman headers on three different vehicles(all of which were made for that specific vehicle) and none of them fit in perfectly. every set needed a little dent somewhere in them(which voids the warranty) to make them fit without rubbing bell housing, cross member, ect. i go with them because they are among the cheapest and are very well made. the only other cheap headers i ever tried to use were flowtech...but when i pulled them out of the box they had very small diameter tubing...so i sent them back.

the best bang for the buck engine upgrades are intake and exhaust(even though compete exhaust systems are pricey). free flowing cold air intake with a k&n filter and a set of headers with free flowing mufflers help engines breath so much easier...

x2...i have a 96 cherokee 4.0 and damm the headers for that(only need one..inline 6)was around 500..so i just replaced my manifold*was starting to crack around the pipe*got a hi flow cat and a borla muffler/exhaust..then added kold air with a big bore throddlebody and 3/4in.throddle body spacer and i tell you she moves for just bein a 4.0

My dad used to build engines when he was younger and he always told me that headers leak. I don't know if that's because they didnt have the technology that we have, or what..

Anyone know?

The only place I have seen headers leak is coming off the block when there is an improper seal. This can sometimes even happen when the header is attached to the rest of the exhaust. It just simply gets tweaked as pressure is applied. However, that is usually unlikely.

A lot of headers have slightly warped flanges. Or I have seen once that the welds on the header were crappy. There's all sorts of fun with headers! lol

Number of things contribute to leaks, rarely is it bad build/cracks but mostly bad seals, not torqued down enough or sitting straight. I usually put a silicon bead on header or exhaust gaskets for added protection. as for not fitting perfectly, its just the deviation of the machine making them. No 2 parts are the same, there off by thousandths. But as for pros-horsepower, torque, exhaust note (depending) Cons-if its too large, a farty exhaust due to no back pressure.

-Mullet.

^just a nickname

for an 88 chevy suburban you should not have a problem finding a good set....... headers usually only have cons if they are built incorrectly from the factory or set up wrong.... and if your headers leak this means they where not sealed correctly. You gotta rember that the temp. is so high it puts a lot of stress on those seals so they have to be done right.

every set of headers i've ever installed needed the bolts re-torqued one or two times after initial install. i also found using regular exhaust flange gaskets sealed against the head better than header gaskets...which i've blown out a time or two

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

DeepMag1c

10+ year member
DeepMag1c
Jackson, MS
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from