Head Unit. WIth or without Navigation?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi,

Looking at ripping out the factory fitted stereo (which is a pain as it's built into the HVAC system on my Subaru Legacy), and fitting a new unit.

Looking to have:

CD palyer (with MP3 support)

ipod connection

USB connection - for sticks and if possible hard drive.

Bluetooth - for phone connection with Mic... Streaming over BT a bonus.

Was thinking of the Pioneer FH-P8000BT (same as the 80BT in the US, guess the radio frequencies are different here, hence a different model No.)

Not sure if I should put in a unit that also has navigation built in.

Any suggestions, or good places to find out about the Navigation systems available buitl into head units?

Main concern is updating the maps.

Also if the head unit dies, then this is expensive to replace....

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.

I thought about getting a head unit with navigation, but decided against it because my head unit is too low and wouldnt be practical to be looking at/monkeying with. Instead I bought a POS Tomtom that costs an arm and a leg to keep updated //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif Just something to think about...

Hi,

That's one of my concerns is updating the maps. One option is the: PIONEER AVIC-F920BT

This uses NavGate software and can interact with Google maps, also can connect to iPhone and Smartphones, but NOT android phones which is what I have. Also have not worked out how to update the maps and if this is free or with a fee.

A friend upgraded my TomTom recently for me for free. This was good as we have a lot of new motorways locally. But otherwise not sure if one really needs to update that often.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.