Head Unit opinions on sound quality

Participant count
  • Participant list

99chevy7.4L
10+ year member

bama
hello this is my first post. I have been shopping for a new head unit. I have a nakamichi 45z right now. I am thinking either a nakamichi cd500 or a Eclipse 8051 which is supposed to be newer version of the 7200.

Right now I believe the head unit to be the wink link. The cd transport in my current nak has issues and goes thru mood swings. My amplifiers for those interested are a Carver PMA4075 and a Harmon Kardon CA-260. I know there old school but they are sweet sounding. My front speakers are boston acoustic 5.25 comps. And the rear speaks are Polk 5.25 two way coaxials. I am after sound quality not volume. Considering all my gear I ask for a recommendation. Oh an 8 inch Bazooka bass tube is my sub. Its all about the mids and highs right now.

Thanks for the reply. that Denon is nice. Also one more question as far as 5.25 components go what would be a step up from the boston acoustics I have now. I was looking at the alpine SPX13REF series comps. Any ideas or opinions on them.

I don't have any experience on Alpine or Boston speakers. But I will say those Alpines wouldn't that much of a step up. If you're wanting to make a big leap from what you have maybe try something from CDT, Focal, Dynaudio, or maybe DLS.

This is a good place to look. Not really cheap but a great selection.

http://www.woofersetc.com/

Any recommendation on CDT's or Focal. I don't know if dynaudio would break the bank though. There stuff in home audio you need a mortgage to buy it. AS for sound I am looking for a very accurate and detailed midrange. I listen to alot of jazz and acoustic guitar. The mids I have now are slightly muffled and not dimensionally clear. Maybe that is the wrong term. A piano or acoustic guitar should have a some what 3 dimensional sound to it. And right now the boston's just don't do it. There tweets are nice but the mid 5.25 is not desirable to my ears.

****, that guy that got the 9255 got that for one hell of a price. I would have bid had I found that. As far as mids go, I just swapped some PPI 355CS components into my Jeep and they are simply amazing. They do lack a little in the midbass department, but they're 5.25s and I'm used to the Pioneer Premiers in my car so I think I'm expecting a little too much out of them. As far as your 3D sound, I know exactly what you're talking about. The PPIs definitely have it. They're discontinued and they're rather difficult to find for a decent price. I was lucky enough to purchase mine for $90 new in box. I think you can find them for about $250 before shipping online. The tweeters are also very nice, detailed, and smooth tweeters. They're by far the best tweeters I've ever ran in anything and they compare to a lot of high end tweeters I've demoed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.