SOLD HAXO LXU (Crystal comp) 12 Underhung sub $120 shipped

BLD 25
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
I just bought this off sounddot brand new from ED, and it is a really nice sub. My amp isn't really the best match for it, so I am going to sell. It has been used for less than a couple of hours and it will ship double boxed. It is nearly mint since it is basically brand new. The only thing at all is that is a little rust on the bottom of the motor in the screw holes. This wasn't disclosed in the sounddot auction, but i wanted to be 100% clear.

haxo121.jpg

haxo123.jpg

haxo12.jpg

$120 shipped

What does underhung mean and what does it do? I'm interested just from the looks of it
Underhung has to do with how the voicecoil moves in the gap. Note the very long and sloping top plate. Similar to the old ('05) RE XXX's.

330px-Voice_coil_geometry.svg.png

There's a pic from wikipedia. Here's an explanation

The most common method is the overhung design where the height of the voice coil is greater than the magnetic gap's height. The underhung design which is used mostly in high-end speakers has the coil's height smaller than the gap's. The differences, advantages and disadvantages of both methods are given in the table below.
Overhung coil

• Coil height is greater than the gap's height.

• This method keeps the number of windings within the magnetic field (or flux) constant over the coil's normal excursion range.

• Higher coil mass, sensitivity medium to high.‡

• Soft non-linearity as the coil exceeds limits.

Underhung coil

• Gap's height is greater than the coil's height.

• This method keeps the magnetic flux that the coil experiences, constant over the coil's normal excursion range.

• Low coil mass, sensitivity low to medium.‡

• Hard non-linearity as the coil exceeds limits.

Here's the details I was able to find off wikipedia, hope it helps. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Not talking factual, but generally underhung subs are used more for SQ, while overhung are used in SPL drivers.

THIS IS NOT A 100% FACT, AT LEAST I'm not sure if it is, but from what I have seen, it's true. I don't think I've seen a true underhung SPL sub..

Underhung has to do with how the voicecoil moves in the gap. Note the very long and sloping top plate. Similar to the old ('05) RE XXX's.
The old xxx were NOT underhung subs. underhung has small coil, large top plate. the coil never leaves the gap. overhung the coil is generally 1/2 out of the gap at rest. it uses a larger coil (more winding width.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

BLD 25

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
BLD 25
Carbondale, IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date