Grounding RCA's on DEH-980BT

Participant count
  • Participant list
Okay, after reading some threads pertaining to alternator whine and ground loop isolation, I am motivated to cure my alternator whine by grounding the RCA's on my DEH-980BT.

But, there's a problem.

If I remember correctly, the DEH-980BT doesn't have RCA jacks directly connected to the rear of the head unit. If I remember correctly (I removed it tonight but I honestly can't recall), the harness uses a multi-pin connector to plug into the rear of the head unit. The RCA's then plug into the harness a few inches downstream from where the harness plugs into the HU.

So, how would grounding the RCA's be achieved on this head unit? I'm depserate to cure my alternator whine.

small piece of wire on the outside of the rca linked to another rca in the same spot, think that solves the problem (creates a ground between two diff rca's and stops the ground loop problem)

small piece of wire on the outside of the rca linked to another rca in the same spot, think that solves the problem (creates a ground between two diff rca's and stops the ground loop problem)
FALSE

What you do is you get a length of wire, strip it as much as you can, and wrap it around the RCA shields. I used tweezers, a screw driver, and needlenose pliers.

With that wire you go to the nearest available ground. On some you can even ground it on the unit itself. Mine (P6900UB) you cannot.. so I had to run it to the frame. I have an EXTREMELY VERY VERY VERY low amount of alt whine. But I think that's because my wire's too long... and I didn't ground it properly. I just wrapped the wire around a screw and screwed it in. :x I didn't have any terminal rings! Sue me! :p

EDIT:: If you're tech savvy, you can open your HU and fix the actual problem. [Which is the pico fuse]. I believe they're small black resistors that have a 'P' on them. Someone told me when I was having the problem to find out what resistance my pico fuse is and resolder a resistor on.

Okay, so basically instead of wrapping the wire around RCA jacks at the back of the head unit (not possible), I will just wrap the wire around the junction of the RCA cables, and then ground the wire.

Edit: I would open the head unit, but I don't have microsoldering equipment, so no go on that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.