GM and Microsoft

zane
10+ year member

Bored.....
At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving twenty-five dollar cars that got 1000 mi/gal."

Recently General Motors addressed this comment by releasing the statement:

"Yes, but would you want your car to crash twice a day?" Not only that, but.... Every time they repainted the lines on the road you would have to buy a new car. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason, and you would just accept this, restart and drive on. Occasionally, executing a maneuver would cause your car to stop and fail and you would have to re-install the engine. For some strange reason, you would accept this too. You could only have one person in the car at a time, unless you bought

"Car95" or "CarNT". But, then you would have to buy more seats. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast, twice as easy to drive, but would only run on five percent of the roads. The Macintosh car owners would get expensive Microsoft upgrades to their cars, which would make their cars run much slower. The oil, gas and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single "general car default" warning light. New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt. The airbag system would say "are you sure?" before going off. If you were involved in a crash, you would have no idea what happened.

Zane I do like this story. GM cars (not trying to spake a car war here) aren't bad cars. Neither are Ford. They each have their own great charicteristics.

J

tipical response found on this board......

American cars **** a$$. I drive a toyota corolla and i would have picked it even if my mom hadn't given it to me.....foreign cars rule!!!!!!!!

OK i've said what some of the others are thinking so there is no need to get back into this debate...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif

This wasnt meant to start any wars- IT was just a simple and slightly true joke. nothing more.......

Whats really wierd is that each company is basically complimenting the other inside the power tripping.

take it easy,

-zane

we would all be driving twenty-five dollar cars that got 1000 mi/gal."
i guess he never saw a yugo? or any k-car? not that they got that kind of mileage, but they might be worth that. of course, his pool house is bigger than my house, so i doubt if he's even worried about gas mileage. mine btw, is about 14 mpg!

yep, 'puters and cars are like woman....can't live with'em, don't want to live without'em

didn't say can't there, cuz , well , they can be lived without, just don't want too!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

that's a deep thought.......

Yugo //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

he he

Anyone seen that commercial where that Yugo tries to jump that bridge?

For some reason now- that keeps playing over and over in my mind. LoL!

take it easy,

-zane

well i saw some comercial the other day for like oil for older beat up cars and it had like some pieces of crap doing the kind of stunts you see in the car commercials for new cars....had like an '80 toyota van flying over a hill and such....bout had a hernia laughing so hard.....

If u are going to hate on american cars(cfurtick) At least get a REAL foreign car! A toyota corolla is a gay car!! A little bitty bittchh car! Why don't u save up for a lexus or something?! And corollas are made in America by the way!

Not much of a point to make, just my opinion! I luv foreign cars just as much as i luv american cars, but don't hate on someone elses tastes cuz u decide to buy what u buy. I'm just making a lil' statement in general. As a matter of fact, the first car i bought(my 2nd car) was a bittchh car too! A little hyundai excel! So i've been in all types of cars, just don't hate on one cuz of where it was made. Ya feel me!!!?!!????//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

"tipical response found on this board......

American cars **** a$$. I drive a toyota corolla and i would have picked it even if my mom hadn't given it to me.....foreign cars rule!!!!!!!!

OK i've said what some of the others are thinking so there is no need to get back into this debate..."

gator4thehater....there is a new little thing just out called sarcasm, maybe you've heard of it? As you can see the line that prefaced my post clearly says....tipical response found on this board......

I was simply trying to avoid getting into this debate of american vs foreign. That is why i ended my post with .....OK i've said what some of the others are thinking so there is no need to get back into this debate.......

And btw there is no need to try to drop some knowledge on us by telling us corolla are manufactured in the states.

and another thing.. my mother didn't give me a corolla.......it was a kia....

whoa!!!!! there is some of that new fangled sarcasm again......

a kia, huh? gee, my mom gave me a buick! well, not just any buick, a 1975 buick lesabre custom broughm. a full 18.5 ft from bumper to bumper. i'd put it up against any old import(or otherwisedomestic) small car anyday, derby style!!

just thought i'd drop some knowledge!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif :D

current auto inventory......

2001 dodge ram 4x4 quad cab (mine)

2000 chevy impala (hers)

1998 mazda 626 lx v-6 w/ 5spd(hers too)

does a 2000 honda recon atv count? (mine)

how about a 10.5 hp yard pro(?) rider count? (mine)

if not, she's got me beat, literally!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif :D

what's everybody else rollin?

94 Ford Probe

83 Mercury Cougar

Those are mine now...

Also have had or my family has,

97 Chevy Silverado 2500

87 Chevy Scottsdale

78 Chevy Scottsdale

78 Chevy Corvette

93 Chevy Silverado 1500

96 Ford F150

89 Ford F150

88 Ford Ranger

78 Ford F350

68 Ford F350

85 Ford Thunderbird

83 Ford Thunderbird

78 Ford Thunderbird

91 Ford Taurus

96 Ford Taurus

91 Ford Probe

91 Ford Tempo

91 Mercury Tracer

84 Mercury Cougar

95 Mercury Sable

93 Dodge Ram 3500 HD

86 Dodge Daytona

89 Pontiac Grand Am

83 Pontiac Bonneville

93 Jeep Cherokee

89 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

I know I am forgetting a few in there somewhere.........

too many to actually remember.

take it easy,

-zane

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

zane

10+ year member
Bored.....
zane
Cedar Rapids, IA USA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date