Funny smell

i ahd that too with my reciever in my home it was jsut somethin it did for a while. maybe its somethin with new electronics. nothin has happened to it yet so i doubt it was anything bad. maybe its some type of coating they put on it or somethin. but i really dont know. the smell has gone away too.

Uh oh......

Happened to me before too.

Is this smell very overpowering- almost like that of burning plastic or make-up remover? One that is so vulgar that it stays with you a while?

Just need a little more info- I think I know what you are describing, just want to be clear.

take it easy,

-zane

If they are brand new subs did you let them break in??? type R's require at least 40 hours of break in time

i had that smell happen to me too...whenever i turned it up loud...

it was really bad.

it was on my Solo 15" and i just found out I fried a voice coil...its a *****..

i think it is because i didnt break it in long enoough...i think

well i have learned my lesson and i will break them in this time for a really long time...

well thats my story,

peace,

jared

Could be a result of improper break in- but doubtful. Honestly, I would suggest firstly- inspect all wiring going to the amp and to the sub- pay close attention to the speaker wires- make sure there are no parts of it contacting the cars body. If all is well there, I would look into having your amplifier bench tested to be sure that there is not anything going on inside it- which it may be passing to the sub and slowly damagingthe voice coil.

What JaredMonk pointed out is exactly what happened to mine too- the amplifier had a resistor give out and allowed too much current to pass through a portion of it (keep in mind- this is after the fuse in the current path)- this was also sent to the speakers Voice Coil producing a foul smell and ended up claiming both the speakers and the amplifier in a cloud of smoke.

Some things are learned the hard way unfortunately- Mabey this little tidbit can save you that experience.

take it easy,

-zane

hehe, break-in time sux0rs, and can get you in trouble with local law enforcement, when it seems not real loud, that doesn't mean anyting bass notes can travel far and wide even at low volumes.. i know, i live right by a football stadium, i had my system turned up a little, and a freaken cop came over and gave me a warning, and there was a football game going on!!, i said, well what bout this freaken games that keep me up til 11pm, just to be confrontational hehe, and she said that i need to take it up with the city board or some crap, i hate loud noise regulations, what about those whom sleep in the daytime, they don;t get no relief GEEZ!!!! i want to hook up a radar system to a mute feature on a car stereo, it would only work when the radar detects radar though, but it would be cool i think, maybe i am wrong since coppers don't always have their radar guns on.. it would be some level of protection though although it is best to slowly turn down the bass when i cop is approaching, then he thinks it's frrm a different car =P

I suppose the obvious question would be are you pumping more power into the subs than they're rated for? You could be seriously overheating the voice coils. I think they still use varnish as a coating on the VC's and maybe it's cooking...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.