Fried Voice Coil??

jaredmonk
10+ year member

helena
I was runnig a Rockford bd1000.1 @1 ohm to a Kicker L715".

Why did I fry the voice coil I thought this sub could handle this load.

Was my box to small. It was about 3 cubic feet and vented. Or did I run to much power to it.

Thanks

Jared

Your L7 should have handled the bd1000 with no trouble...

Where were the gains and crossover points set at?

The enclosure size is a little small for my liking, however, that still should have worked ok as well.

What about the port? Single port? Port size?

take it easy,

-zane

we had them set at half way. i had all of this done by a pro because i am new to the car stereo business.

the port was slotted on the side of the box it was 14x3.

it was a square port

the enclosure was built pretty much to the size and specs they sent with it.

i wish this didnt happen. the company wont take it back they said it was my fault that i blew it.

it sounded so sweet.. uhh this *****.

jared

i agree with zane, the L7 should of handled the bd1000 pretty easy. i think u r getting the shaft. u say it was professionaly installed and done according to specs? then i would say that if a vc is fried then the warranty should cover. sounds like poor workmanship on kicker's end to me!

Originally posted by jaredmonk we had them set at half way. i had all of this done by a pro because i am new to the car stereo business.

the port was slotted on the side of the box it was 14x3.

it was a square port

the enclosure was built pretty much to the size and specs they sent with it.

i wish this didnt happen. the company wont take it back they said it was my fault that i blew it.

it sounded so sweet.. uhh this *****.

jared
First of all if this was done by a pro installer and they or kicker will not stand behind thier product- this is one reason to cease all future business ventures with them and promptly file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. http://www.bbb.com

Kickers .pdf file for the L7's cleary states-

Solo-Baric subwoofers will handle their full rated power in any of the recommended

enclosures, minimum or maximum. The smaller enclosures are best for use in limited

space applications. The larger (maximum) recommended enclosures will yield slightly more

bass at the lowest frequencies. The power ratings given are assuming that both voice coils

are used. You should never hook up a dual voice coil woofer using only one coil.[/i]
Pay attention to that first part. IF this was installed by a pro and under the circumstances kicker will not replace or remedy your problem; then Kicker is guilty of misrepresentation of thier L7 product line. The enclosure and port size you described are within Kickers specified parameters available on thier site.

http://www.kicker.com/images/manuals/02SoloBaricL7manual.pdf

I would review your warranty information and notify either kicker or the retailer where you purchased your L7, and discuss this in detail a little farther. Being that this was installed professionally- you are entitled to warranty and a little customer support/satisfaction from either place. If they fail to do this- advise them of your intents to file a complaint with the BBB, and at that time- it is up to you if you take legal action against Kicker for misrepresentation, or the retailer for fraudulent business practice.

take it easy,

-zane

I fried one of my 10L7's with 1 of my JL 500/1's, LOL smoke started pouring out the ports and all. I guess I had the gains too high, o-well thank god for warrenties.

yeah

the place i bought it is http://www.cbrstereo.com

they were a great company until this. they shipped the stuff right away and everything came in great shape.

Now they said they will have no part with helping me get it fixed. They are totally blaming it on me. Hopefully Kicker will be a little more understanding and take care of me. If not I will cry.

Oh and what is your opinion.

ANOTHER L715" or and HX2 15" or a MTX 8000 15" or something else.

THanks

Jared

Originally posted by jaredmonk yeah

the place i bought it is http://www.cbrstereo.com

they were a great company until this. they shipped the stuff right away and everything came in great shape.

Now they said they will have no part with helping me get it fixed. They are totally blaming it on me. Hopefully Kicker will be a little more understanding and take care of me. If not I will cry.

Oh and what is your opinion.

ANOTHER L715" or and HX2 15" or a MTX 8000 15" or something else.

THanks

Jared
It is very unprofessional of them to not stand behind thier products in any way, shape, or form. This is however a place to bring up problems you have experienced with retailers also. Just to pass things along to those who may consider doing business with this company at some time.

As of the way it stands right now, and if everything was installed by a pro; I would reccomend to everyone to cease all future business practices with this retailer. I would also forward a copy of this thread to them, so that they are able to see the publicity they are recieving here. Not so much for reasons of Blackmail- as that is clearly not the intent; But rather so that they may also be invited here in thier defense of this issue.

This is a public forum, all are welcome to voice thier own opinions and experiences. This may be a good way to see some action taken, even if it only means a good discussion.

take it easy,

-zane

Kicker states that the subwoofers will handle 1000 watts RMS however running a BD1000.1 would push far more than 1000 watts into a 1ohm load. Why would you run a BD1000.1 at 1ohm. They are made to be run at 2ohm. A burnt voice coil is the result of overpowering the subwoofer in which the coil wire exceeds its rated current flow. If anyone doubts this call Rockford Fosgate yourself (800.669.9899) and ask their technicians if you can run a BD1000.1 at 1ohm load and see what they have to say. Fosgate will tell you in no uncertain terms that you could possibly burn up the amplifier and/or your speakers and say DO NOT DO IT!

The fact is that a professional installer, ran your had your sub running @ 1 ohm. He set the gains, and I'm sure he set them right. You would most likely be able to tell if your sub is getting too much power. I have overpowered many subs before, and did not hurt them. It's not how much more powerful the amp is rated than the sub. It all depends on the set-up. So, maybe the dealer and the installer can get together, and come up with a compromise. Because it clearly wasn't your fault.

The whole issue should be taken up with the installer. The dealer did not make the item, install it, wire the system, or even get to see how they did it. The installer wired a sub to an amp at 1ohm which should never be taken below 2ohm. Why push its' limits when all you get is a burnt amp or sub? If anyone feels like rebutting me or telling me I am wrong please call Rockford Fosgate yourself first! If you do not call them why bother to reply.

Here is a little point of view... who's fault is this

You buy a car and fill it up with water. Suddenly your car doesn't run anymore. Who is at fault? The car dealership or the gas station in which you used the water pump?

The key here is nobody wants to take responsibilty for their actions and installations.

hey its jared..the owner of the 15"

i will take responsibility for purchasing the wrong dvc model sub. I didn't know enough at that time and bought the 2ohm dvc model thinking that, that meant it would be ran at 2 ohms. To my MISTAKE it meant i could only run it at 1 ohm and 4 ohm. So i would reccommend someone putting more info to make that more clear (for future stupid people like me)

But what i dont get is that the amp is not supposed to be run at 1 ohm but that is not where the problem lies. It is with the sub, the is where the voice coil was fried. So obviously the sub could not handle what it has said it clould handle. Maybe i am wrong in thinking that.

Well I have talked to http://www.cbrstereo.com and they have agreed to help me and work something out. If you are knowledgeble and know what you are doing then i would reccommend buying from these people. THey have great prices and they get you the products quickly.

thanks

jared

good luck dude, faceless corporation ****!!! it's alot easier to fix an amp reliabily, and it next to impossible to fix a sub unless it just has a broken transfer wire or something... once again, good luck dude, i should really register, i've put like 20some posts on this bnoard... oh well..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.