for those with a router but no circle jig

joeldirt
10+ year member

Integrity
you can easily make your own....... I wrote this for one of the members on this site a about a week ago.

Router Circle Guide

Okay Greg, This project is really easy, and you'll use it all the time when doing car audio boxes. If you were to get into this often I would suggest buying a Jasper circle guide like I have, but as often as you do this, you dont need to spend the money.

What you will need:

1/4" thick piece of ply wood or plexi glass 6 1/2" x 14"

1/4" straight router bit

1/8"drill bit (spare... this will be uses as the hinge point)

Drill bit set ( you will need a few sized drill bits to make the corect sized holes)

drill (drill press is prefered for a perfect 90 degree drill)

Ruler

Router

screw driver to remove bottom plate of router

What to do:

Remove the bottom plate of your router

Place the plate centered and on the edge of one of the ends of your 1/4 x 6 1/2 x 14 work piece.

Clamp down to work piece and drill holes matchng those of the router plate.

Counter sink the holes by using a half inch drill bit drilling deep enough only so that the screws will fit flush or just below the surface of the bottom of the plate.

Secure 1/4" straight router bit in router. Ensure the shank of the bit is atleast 7/8" in collar to keep bit from vibrating as much as possible. Always use the router on the fastest speed possible if it is a multi speed router to prevent the bit from catching in the wood as much as possible and keeping the bit sharp.

Mount new jig on router. Keep old one on the side to reinstall later when done with circle jig.

Plug in router, and plunge 1/4" bit through circle jig ( make sure to do this over a scrap piece of wood so the bit doesnt plunge into your table or work stand.)

Once the bit has plunged through work piece, unplug the router and turn router over. For out RE sub, we will need an 11 and 1/4" hole. Measure from the outside (or furthest) edge of hole just made by 1/4" router bit inward. Mark the distance 7 1/8".

On that dot, drill an 1/8" hole

mark next to that hole "11 1/4" that will tell you the size of the circle that hole will cut. you have plenty of room on your piece to make many more circles. Just measure out from the furthest edge of the cutter bit to the center of the radius of the circle you plan to make. This will give you perfect circles every time.

Do the smae for your 4" port. The walls are 1/4" thick so the outside diameter of the PVC is goig to be 4 1/2" This means that you are going to measure 2 1/4" to achieve a 4 1/2" hole

Drill the cutter hole a bit larger to give the bit a little clearance. This will help the bit cool off while it is working through your piece. It will also allow you to see the bit cutting through the material.

remember to keep the bit cutting efficiently, you cant do this all in one pass. You may have to plunge a bit deeper each time until you get through your work piece. It is safe to cut 1/4" each pass.

Take your 1/8" spare drill bit and wrap the end in tape so that it can slide into the holes but not fall through them as you work through your piece.

Give it a shot and see how the port and sub fits into the holes in some scrap wood. too snug? Too loose? You want the port to slide smoothly so that you can with out being too sloppy. You are going to have the port glued into place, so make sure there is enough area to be glued.

The sub should fit snug. You have a rubber gasket that seals the sub so don't worry about air leakage.

Now just keep this jig arround and use it over and over making new adjustments as you need.

(( Warning ))

Don't forget to use eye protection, I hate when I get that crap flown into my eye. It *****.

It's also not too bad of an idea to keep it unplugged wile changing out bits and stuff. **** does happen sometimes. Even when you know, you never know.... you know?

Joel Dirt

Okinawa Japan

3/13/2005 10:30am

you guys cna all put your little smilley face guys with the sign that says this thread is useless without pics.... I am at a disadvantage. I have none here at the moment as I am deployed over seas. Will be home soon though..... THen I will only have to learn how to post my pics on here. lol I will do a search on that no worries.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

you guys cna all put your little smilley face guys with the sign that says this thread is useless without pics....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/needpics.gif.edd6d28e76618c28c46f343991bcced5.gif

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

LOL thanks.

But for reals. IF you have the mental capcitance required to follow allong and understand I give you props. I am sure you will get by just fine with out pics. if you have one of those brains //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif not all of us do.

But I do understnad how easy it is to get lost. that is why I am at a loss with out my pics.... I own a jasper back home, now but I started with my home grown jigs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.