FJ Cruiser Black out started...

Participant count
  • Participant list

OmegaBunny
10+ year member

Today I started the process of blacking out the silver on my FJ Cruiser. I decided to try my had at Plasti Dip since it seems to be the newest thing everyone is talking about.

After about 2 hours in the 100 degree heat I got the front and rear bumpers and the grill off and sprayed. It turned out pretty nice. I have to touch up a couple spots since it started thundering and it didn't have a lot of time to cure and I scuffed it putting everything back together but I'm really happy with how it turned out and can't wait to see how long it actually lasts.

Before and after pics...

Side View before:

FjSideBefore.jpg

Side View After:

FJSideAfter.jpg

Back View Before:

FjBackBefore.jpg

Back View After:

FjBackAfter.jpg

Front View Before:

FJFrontBefore.jpg

Front view After:

FjFrontAfter.jpg

I've ordered a new set of black door handles and need to buy a new set of black mirrors. I would dip them but everything I have read said that the mirrors don't last at all, I guess from the bugs and the handles wear down from the constant gripping to open the doors.

Also on the agenda is to Plasti dip these wheels for winter and buy a new set of 20's for summer, new blacked out front markers and rear lights, and a lot of off road lights.

Blacked out lights look corny and cheap IMO, I would just make the taillights a nice cherry red, maybe even look for some clear turn signal lenses (assuming they make them for the FJ)

Thats your opinion, they dont look cheap if you know how to do it right
that IS my opinion, you are right. and i think they do look cheap. i feel the dark cherry red gives it a classier look.

...unless you got a lambo or similar exotics then the blacked out tail lights usually looks pretty deece.

i have another one of my opinions for you @omegabunny don't tint the headlights.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.