Fiberglass wheel well or not?

snb778
5,000+ posts

blaugh!!!!
I was just thinking about my ongoing issue of not having enough space in my trunk for what I want to do (2x 15's, 2 18's.. etc etc)

Would it be ok to fiberglass my wheel well to get an extra 2-3cu. ft, and attatch it to my regular box?? Has anyone tried this?

I know i'd have to make it thick as hell to work properly, but it would be worth it if it worked. I would make it bolt-on so I could put it on different boxes if needed.

i was thnking about doing the same thing, but i think i am just goign to build the box into my spare tire well. mine is a almost a square (cube) so it wouldnt make too much of a difference to glass it.

but if yours is a really weird shape, then yea go for it, i dont see why not. But if you are goign to just make it a bolt on, put some low density weather stripping or something to make sure it has a good seal and everything.

oh i'd silicone the hell outta it... mine is like a circle, only the 1 side is flat..... doesnt your wheel well bow up in the middle?? thats the problem I see with making it part of the box... also I do a lot of swapping out, so this would be nice to have bolt on... I just want to find someone who has done/seen this before

oh i'd silicone the hell outta it... mine is like a circle, only the 1 side is flat..... doesnt your wheel well bow up in the middle?? thats the problem I see with making it part of the box... also I do a lot of swapping out, so this would be nice to have bolt on... I just want to find someone who has done/seen this before
mine does go up a very very little bit, (it is about 4" in diameter, and goes up about 2") but i just too a dremel, with a cut-off wheel, and just cut it flat, then put a .25" thick peice of MDF over it (after i put 2 cotes of waterproof sealant paint stuff on it)

i just thought the waether stripping would be ideal, because then every time you swapped you wouldnt have to cut out the silicone ya know?

projectpenchkin was using the wheel well in his subaru for the same purpose, using 2 eclipse 15's. as long as you can calculate the space correctly, and seal it with the box good, it'll work fine. it wasn't going to be removable though

2 words "painters tape" before you foam or glass so when you need to remove the foam or glass it will come off with the tape //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif~

Just do a wall...
you don't understand how bad I want to, but

A. I got rolled the other day for my tint, he didnt make me take it off, but sounded like the next guy would

B. IF i didnt have front tint, I park my car in an open parking lot by itself at night while im working

C. there have been several break in's in the back of my work in the last few months (thats why I park in the big lot in front). So it would be kinda risky

projectpenchkin was using the wheel well in his subaru for the same purpose, using 2 eclipse 15's. as long as you can calculate the space correctly, and seal it with the box good, it'll work fine. it wasn't going to be removable though
Nice Spelling Casey //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Can you get fold down rear seats for your car? If so do a forward firing set up like I have. Loud and stealth...
ya know.. im going to have to look into it... I was just lookin in my trunk... and I wouldnt even be able to get the box in if I did the wheel well...there would be no way to secure the fiberglassed wheel well to the box in the car, because I have to have my sub mounted before I put the box in

Mike, did you check out those quick disconnect connectors?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.