fiberglass guru's click here cuz i need help

Participant count
  • Participant list

wgsj_fortvalley
10+ year member

well i tried my drivers side door pannel and the top of the pod hit the dash. so, i ripped it all off and am going to start over with them. i hate that i waisted all that resin on them when theyare not even going to work. those honda doors are so messed up as far as being customizeable. iwant to do something to the doors and not just have the center console with mids in it. im just chunking these pods and am going back to the drawing board. and besides, my leg hit it pretty good and the door wasnt all the way shut. i really donmt want to cut these 486.00$ each door pannels but it may come down to that. what else can i do? if i move it back toward the end of the door i will have to be carefu of the seat and too far forward and the dash is in the way. i cant put them at the top of the pannels b/c they prob wouldnt sount too good and they may be in the way of the door handle and the dash again and steering wheel. i hate this honda van the more customizing i try to do to it. somebody please give me some ideas cuz i've ran out completely.

i guess im going to try to make my own door pannels. im at a loss here b/c idk what im doing. i guess i;; trace an outlike of the old pannels onto some plywood and figure out how to make the door handles and locks work on it? and them figure out how to mount it and make my speakers built in? like use the ply for a base

tried to make a template of part of the pannel and make a base for the pods but the part of the door pannel i was wprking on, the surface wasnt flat. so it looked ugly laying on there and i dont know how to fill in the gaps around the edges,

my pannels are in 2 sections, this is what the top part looks like

maximumexcursion001.jpg

this is the bottom

the area where i have drawn the like is where i tried to make the base to fit and it was cut all neat and everyrthing. its just that that area of the pannel isnt flat and there are gaps around the edges of the base and idk how to fill them in.

thdoorpods001.jpg

btw i did change to masking tape but that doesnt matter atm and the pic os old. but it shows what i need help with

don't make your own door panels. making your own door panels at a noob fiberglassing/customization level will result in a lot of money loss, time, and effort.. judging by your first failure i'm sure it turned out to be a pricey one at that.

if possible could you post up pictures of what your current door pods look like?

i can tell that the major mistake you made with this is that you didn't test fit prior to glassing. no harm though just a pricey lesson learned. you mention that ypu don't want to cut up your current door panel, though, if your making a door pod to sit on top of the door panel itself of course it's going to stick out wayyyyy tooo much.

the only thing you can really do here is to cut up your door panel.

my take on this would be to do this, remove the plastic speaker grill area on the door panel. that will be your mounting hole giving you lots of clearance.. then take the speaker and float it in the hole to find how deep you can sit the speaker in there w/o having the speaker hit the glass.

after you get an idiea of how far you can sit the speaker out make your speaker ring and some dowels.

this is what can get tricky, in an attempt to get the new speaker mount to blend in with the door panel i would lay fleece on the back side of the door panel, then take the mounting ring and push outwards on the fleece to your desired position. that way you can glass the back side of it. then when it's glassed you can take the body filler on the front side and blend the fleece with the door panel to leave a smooth even finish with no lumping. kinda hard to explain so i hope that is somewhat understandable.

then cover the pod with w/e material. vynil, leather, paint. w/e..

that's just my take on the situation. everyone is different though that's a general idea of how i would do mine. my car is tricky too and i'm considering puttong some 8's in the doors..

one major thing you want to do before glassing is to CHECK FOR CLEARANCE.. constantly fit things to make sure it will work out.

good luck!

Ok man if I was there to help you out I would but I'm in another state and can't but I will try and help you through here best as I can man. First off man what way are you trying to angle out these mids? Also man I saw part though where u made your own but u needed to know how to fill in the gaps. Here's some info 2 help u out man.

1.) U can use more fiberglass matt/resin to go over the holes wait till dries sand smooth then lay another matt down do about 3 layers wait till all matt layers dry before sanding smooth. Then lay down some bondo or duraglass spread that good then wait till dries sand smooth also do acouple layers bondo or duraglass it will help strengthen it. Try that man lmk how comes out

don't make your own door panels. making your own door panels at a noob fiberglassing/customization level will result in a lot of money loss, time, and effort.. judging by your first failure i'm sure it turned out to be a pricey one at that.
if possible could you post up pictures of what your current door pods look like?

i can tell that the major mistake you made with this is that you didn't test fit prior to glassing. no harm though just a pricey lesson learned. you mention that ypu don't want to cut up your current door panel, though, if your making a door pod to sit on top of the door panel itself of course it's going to stick out wayyyyy tooo much.

my take on this would be to do this, remove the plastic speaker grill area on the door panel. that will be your mounting hole giving you lots of clearance.. then take the speaker and float it in the hole to find how deep you can sit the speaker in there w/o having the speaker hit the glass.

after you get an idiea of how far you can sit the speaker out make your speaker ring and some dowels.

this is what can get tricky, in an attempt to get the new speaker mount to blend in with the door panel i would lay fleece on the back side of the door panel, then take the mounting ring and push outwards on the fleece to your desired position. that way you can glass the back side of it. then when it's glassed you can take the body filler on the front side and blend the fleece with the door panel to leave a smooth even finish with no lumping. kinda hard to explain so i hope that is somewhat understandable.

that's just my take on the situation. everyone is different though that's a general idea of how i would do mine. my car is tricky too and i'm considering puttong some 8's in the doors..

one major thing you want to do before glassing is to CHECK FOR CLEARANCE.. constantly fit things to make sure it will work out.

good luck!
i dont understand, i think its a great writeup but i dont understand about the whole fleece the back of the pannel. il really lost now

ok i screwed up the pods.

randompics039.jpg

the pods hit the dash

so i tried to make a base so that i can build off of that.

the area i have outlined in this next pic is where i want the base to be

thdoorpods001.jpg

but that area in the circled area isnt flat. so what do i do?

bleh i was typing something up then i decided not to.. it's too complicating to explain to someone how to glass w/o actually showing them visually on what to do.

you really ****ed up that door panel..

question.. how deep is the mids you have? how are you going to pass it through the door panel like that?

bleh i was typing something up then i decided not to.. it's too complicating to explain to someone how to glass w/o actually showing them visually on what to do.
you really ****ed up that door panel..

question.. how deep is the mids you have? how are you going to pass it through the door panel like that?
those pods are gone.

now, i can just free air the mids? so if i cut out the stock speaker grill in the pannel, how can i glass a mount for the mid and make a mount for it?

good luck!
whats in red is what i dont understand. ive got the whole think about cutting that stock speaker grill out but after that with the fleece deal im lost.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.