eliminating loudness of exhaust

rick22
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
ne,Ohio
i finally got around to installing my 2.5in exhaust on my lude and all i can say is **** this is sooo loud. atleast its deep but i know im going to get really tired of the noise it puts out. i guess thats what i get for having a straight through exhaust with no cat or resonator. i just was wondering if anyone knows of some ways to quiet it down without using things like a reonator or cat. like are there universal silencers and if so can someone shoot up a link. thanks alot i really appreciate it.

well, a resonator is probly the best bet but you dont wanna do that... i'm assuming you wouldnt want to choose a different muffler with additional baffling or noise cancelling characteristics either?

what type of muffler are you using now? outlet diameter mainly. i know i've seen silencers that can be used, if i spot something somewhere i'll let you know

A really loud stereo system //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif That was my solution....because I'm running 2.5" from the block straight through with no cats....but it really isn't that loud....deep, bassy more like.

I also tore out my interior and added ~100 ft^2 of sound deadening and carpet padding down to keep the stereo sounds in and the exhaust noise out. Well worth the $150 and a day's worth of labor!!

the muffler is a dual tip magnaflow and the tips diameter is 3". thanks alot i really appreciate your help.

A really loud stereo system That was my solution....because I'm running 2.5" from the block straight through with no cats....but it really isn't that loud....deep, bassy more like.
yeah the only problem is that now my mom is extremly pissed because i go to work early in the morning and come home late at night so shes mad that the neighbors are gonna get mad. so im not worried so much on what it sounds like on the inside but more on the outside.

yeah the only problem is that now my mom is extremly pissed because i go to work early in the morning and come home late at night so shes mad that the neighbors are gonna get mad. so im not worried so much on what it sounds like on the inside but more on the outside.
Looks like you will be pushing that thing down the block in the morning and coasting in at night with the engine off //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Look at a silencer or a resonator if you don't have one.

If you don't like the sound/loudness IN the car.... imagine what everyone around you thinks.
what are you talking about i never said anything about how it sounds on the inside. and im trying to fix it so i wont bother people.

"but i know im going to get really tired of the noise it puts out"

I assumed this is referring to the noise inside the car, but if you mean tired of it as in tired of other people hearing you, then I'm sorry I just comprehended wrong.

if you were worried about loudness, then why did you do anything to it to begin with?
because i was running extremly rich so i needed to start freeing up some air and i have an h22a which needs a 2.5" exhaust for best results of eliminating backpressure.

because i was running extremly rich so i needed to start freeing up some air and i have an h22a which needs a 2.5" exhaust for best results of eliminating backpressure.
why not just return it to stock. you cant really have the best of both worlds anyway.

like i said i was running extremly rich so i needed to lean the car out also sense i swapped motors from a h23 non-vtec to an h22a vtec the exhaust i had was ment for the h23 and not for a vtec h22a. also the ideal exhaust for an h22a is a 2.5" exhaust. plus i do race and am looking to do either auto cross or stay with drag racing but in order for me to stay in a lower level i cant do much such as nitrous or forced induction. so i am stuck with only doing small mods which im trying to get the best bang out of.

You should have done research before you bought your exhaust. There is alot of information for 'ludes on exhausts and other modifications. I would have gone with an Apex'i WS2 or a Greddy SP2 or maybe even an Evo2. Those exhausts are nice and quiet at idle, but at WOT they have a nice roar. Other options are your stock muffler or a silencer, but you will lose what ever you gained if you put a silencer in.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.