Eclipse 88120 DVC Aluminum 12 sub vs L7

Participant count
  • Participant list

Rookie_80
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Houston,tx
Im planning on buyin this one after all.

I read really good review about 88120DVC Titanium. Haven't seen any about aluminiums. I know aluminium rated 1000w max and 500w RMS.

But is it really 500W? or it's underrated just like toher older Eclipse Titanium ubs?

Then some say Eclipse gives RMS wattage per voice coil !?

Some say thats not true!? Which one is it?

How much wattage should i feed it from the 2 ohm stable amp?

An last question wud u guys gor for 88120 or L7?

Im planning on buyin this one after all.
I read really good review about 88120DVC Titanium. Haven't seen any about aluminiums. I know aluminium rated 1000w max and 500w RMS.

But is it really 500W? or it's underrated just like toher older Eclipse Titanium ubs?

Then some say Eclipse gives RMS wattage per voice coil !?

Some say thats not true!? Which one is it?

How much wattage should i feed it from the 2 ohm stable amp?

An last question wud u guys gor for 88120 or L7?
I thought the Titaniums were SW9112DVC?? As far as the Aluminums go they have great sq and still get loud... the 500rms rating is reasonable, but id say you could get away with running 600~650 clean power daily to the Aluminums SW8122DVC

However if you are deciding b/w the Aluminum & the L7 its going to come down to what you like more SPL or SQ (L7 can get louder, but will not be as clean ~ The Aluminums will be very clean, but will have a little less output than the L7)..... IMO

Also depends on vehicle & install //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

-B

Installing in 96 Mustang Coupe.

Well im listening most of the time to Hip Hop, RnB, but still sometimes Rock, Pop even Techno.

Does it help in decision?

Installing in 96 Mustang Coupe.
Well im listening most of the time to Hip Hop, RnB, but still sometimes Rock, Pop even Techno.

Does it help in decision?
Now this is a sweeping generalization, BUT the L7 will produce all of that music with high output, but lacking sq (it will have a hard time keeping up with each note) the Aluminum will reproduce every note very clean and still be loud at the same time, but there will be a noticeable difference in overall output of the ALuminum & L7.

L7 + ported = LOUD & sloppy

L7 + sealed = somewhat loud still sloppy

Aluminum + ported = loud & clean (they really come alive inported applications IMO)

Aluminum + sealed = VERY clean & tight somewhat loud

These are all just my opinions though the decision is really up to you. I'd suggest go to a shop or find some friends who may be running this equipment and let that aid in your decision, as nothing is better than actually sitting down and getting to hear them in action with the music you listen to the most

-B

thats the thing man, none of my frineds into loud music in the car or bass.

so i got noone to relate to. Only frineds who have subs--they use old rockford 200 rms- which give just a lil kick.

i personally don want ppl in the other cars hearing me from yards away but i don want strong windshield rattling bass.

I'm upgrading my speaker from factory to pioneer 6x8 coz otherwise i don get the highs in the car (Same song on my mp3 gives my some notes that i never heard when i was playing it in my car).

I know L7 was loud - didn know that it wasnt giving good quality sound.

U guys thing i can push 88120 to 800 Rms?

coz i kinda already purchased kicker ZX 750.1 mono amp.

So kinda confused. What i really wanted it was SW91200 Titanium. But i cant afford the new one and nobody sells the used but in good condition ones at the moment

thats the thing man, none of my frineds into loud music in the car or bass.
so i got noone to relate to. Only frineds who have subs--they use old rockford 200 rms- which give just a lil kick.

i personally don want ppl in the other cars hearing me from yards away but i don want strong windshield rattling bass.

I'm upgrading my speaker from factory to pioneer 6x8 coz otherwise i don get the highs in the car (Same song on my mp3 gives my some notes that i never heard when i was playing it in my car).

U guys thing i can push 88120 to 800 Rms?

coz i kinda already purchased kicker ZX 750.1 mono amp.

So kinda confused. What i really wanted it was SW91200 Titanium. But i cant afford the new one and nobody sells the used but in good condition ones at the moment
Well it sounds like with what you've described you should go with the Eclipse Aluminum ported and just don't go gain crazy with the amp and you'll be fine. I wouldn't rec. sending the alum. 800 rms daily, but that doesn't mean you can't use that amp like say just watch the gains...

By the way I have a 12" Eclipse Ti but I'm still trying to decide if I want to sell it tho //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

-B

How bad the sealed box will sound with 88120?

coz i doubt i have space in my tunrk for ported box-- I barely fit 2 12's wedge box in my mustang's trunk.

I had 2 Magnum 12's --crappy woofers but a nice sealed box that perfectly fits in my trunk with some effort of course.

I thought maybe getting two 88120DVC and putting them in that sealed box and running them on 800-900 RMS kicker ZX 750.1 mono @ 2 ohms?

what do u think?

Actually i might have a problem finding another 88120DVC--u guys think one Eclipse 12 88120DVC Alum can take 750-850RMS from mono kicker ZX 750.1 @ 2 ohms?

Note: 88120DVC rated 1000w max and 500RMS. and dual 4 ohm voice coils.

for the types of different music you like to listen to I would go with the Eclipse bc of its sq. It will still get pretty loud, just not as loud as the L7....

IMO you would be much happier with the Eclipse

sloppy is also install and user dependant. To some, they LOVE the sound of them sealed, and ported...so sloppy can be user defined, over accuracy.
Plus, in the same install, the L7 will be 1.5 db's louder.

PS If you believe in that, you will trust what anyone tells you on the internet.

PSS Not everything you read on the internet, is accurate.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.