Do most of you that compete go SPL or Sound Q?

08redgti
10+ year member

I want to get started competing in car audio shows, but it seems in my area like most of the shows are for SPL only. I'm personally not into ultra loud bass myself (what's the purpose), especially since I listen to mostly country and heavy metal. Do most of you guys that compete go for SPL or sound quality. Also, how can I find out about shows that concentrate on sound quality? I live in Indiana by the way.

Thanks, C.

I am going into Sound Quality right now. First comp for me is on the 10th of August here in Evansville. If you aren't too far from here you should come and compete or at least observe. From what I have learned, anyone can make a car loud as ****, just alot of cone area, a good ported box, and alot of power. Then burp it at the frequency you peak at. That's for places like MECA though. If you are looking into getting loud and keeping yourself consistently loud, look into bassrace where you go for 30 seconds playing music and trying to get as loud as you can within your class.

I wouldnt say anyone can get a car loud. You can have all the best equipment and still ****. it all comes down to the installer

I am going into Sound Quality right now. First comp for me is on the 10th of August here in Evansville. If you aren't too far from here you should come and compete or at least observe. From what I have learned, anyone can make a car loud as ****, just alot of cone area, a good ported box, and alot of power. Then burp it at the frequency you peak at. That's for places like MECA though. If you are looking into getting loud and keeping yourself consistently loud, look into bassrace where you go for 30 seconds playing music and trying to get as loud as you can within your class.

I see a low score in your future //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

roflmao

I wonder who is going to tune your car?

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I see a low score in your future //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
roflmao

I wonder who is going to tune your car?

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I think I have a pretty good idea who is going to tune my car. Better yet is going to teach me how to properly tune my car with the equipment I have.

True sq can be subjective, but you are striving for consistancy. You want your scores to not vary too much from judge to judge...

Lets say you are on a 100 point scale..... if you are normally scoring in the mid 70's then you can expect consistant scores from the low 70's to high 70's. That would in turn say that your car is sounding about the same to each judge.

You dont want to have your scores all over the map... you dont want scores from the 60's to the 80's. that would be too much of a variance..

if you can get it in the same ball park then its about right

there were a private meet inn houston, we - the competitor will sit in each other's car and rate the SQ and the SPL .

I m still waiting for the next meet b4 school starts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I don't see the point in having burp machines and if you go into SQ, you better know what you're doing and how to tune. I don't compete but if I did, I would try for a happy median. I'd try for about a 139.9 bass race and have an awesome frontstage w/ remote gain knob to turn down the amp for sq. This actually might be what I try to do next.

I don't see the purpose behind SPL. I went to one comp and it was incredibly boring.

It makes about as much sense as seeing who has the loudest car horn or shotgun.

But, each to his own and I am thankful that there are those who are into that as I think we all benefit in several ways.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.