Direct fire into cabin versus facing the trunk

gunz4me
10+ year member

Goodbye!
Louisiana
I am in the process of installing a system in my daily driver, a 1997 Civic EX Coupe. Currently, I plan to put my two JL Audio 10w3v2 subs in the trunk and each sub has its own .75 cubic foot sealed chamber before subwoofer displacement.

Anyhow, I don't know if I should build a baffle board and direct fire the subs into the passenger cabin or turn them around and have them facing the trunk? Chances are I would ride around with the rear seats down and possibly use a grill cloth to conceal the fact that there are subwoofers back there if I direct fire them. Regardless, I plan to have a removable subwoofer install, just in case I need the whole trunk (i.e. for those weekend trips to the local wildlife management area).

So, I guess I am looking for the pros/cons of direct fire versus reflecting off the trunk.

I found facing the trunk is louder to the ear than direct firing.

FYI though half the people on here will suggest direct firing the other half will suggest rear firing.

It all depends on your car and your setup. Try both first

Two different friends who are installers told me two different things regarding the way the sub should face. Then again, they BOTH recommended that I use the two JL Audio 10w3v2 subwoofers over the Solo-baric L5 that is in the ported pre-fab Kicker enclosure.

I am sure I will try both direct fire and rear fire as well as both subs before all is said and done though. Then, I will decide from there.

i did both in a 06 civic coupe, altho it wasnt sealed off from the back i just turned the back around to try it out. and it wasnt any louder and lost low end output

i faced forward my kicker 12" l5 in a ported pre fab enclosure, port was on the left side, it was odd build in my 01 taurus and the bass lost low end output, it didn't really "bump" on notes good facin front

faced it towards the rear, more output, better sounding bass

faced the sub to right with port firing back, tad bit louder but deeper bass

this will prolly all change once i get a new ride so i'll have to experiment again

I don't think a baffle will work in a quick-remove solution.

If your going to baffle (wall off) correctly, quick remove is

not an option.

That leaves rear firing as the best option, as long as the box

is not so tall as to choke off the cabin.

i tried both, ended up liking forward firing more... but its all up to the persons ears. then again i like turning my head and seeing the sub slam.

i did both in a 06 civic coupe, altho it wasnt sealed off from the back i just turned the back around to try it out. and it wasnt any louder and lost low end output

for those who change the way your subs face to see which way is better, you guys should also change the phase as well while you're testing.

for example. Firing into the cabin, try it wired in phase AND out of phase. Same for when firing towards the rear.

Phase can be changed either from the HU (if it has the feature) or swap the + and - speaker wires on the terminal or amp.

for those who change the way your subs face to see which way is better, you guys should also change the phase as well while you're testing.
for example. Firing into the cabin, try it wired in phase AND out of phase. Same for when firing towards the rear.

Phase can be changed either from the HU (if it has the feature) or swap the + and - speaker wires on the terminal or amp.
i switced the wires around when i had it facing the front.

it makes soundwave be in phase shpatb

i would think that direct firing would be louder but i guess it depends so i'd try both and see which setup you would prefer
i thought mine would be but there was a hard plastic covering behind my rear seats so the bass reflected off that pretty well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.