digital eq vs analog eq

i would bet that they both will sound the same, meaning, you probably wont hear any difference between the two.

with that being said, i got a digital EQ for two reasons. one, my DQT from audiocontrol has a port that a remote can be plugged into (mine should arrive soon), allowing me to make EQ adjustments from the drivers seat. two, my EQ allows me to save 8 different EQ curves, so i can have the first one saved as "flat", while the second one is for rap music, and the third for rock, etc. then, i can recall the different settings with the touch of a button.

my DQT was expensive, and i would believe you can get an analog EQ for a decent price, like the PPI DEQ230, i bet thats like $200-$250, and its a great unit.

i love my DQT, but it depends are your taste.

i would bet that they both will sound the same, meaning, you probably wont hear any difference between the two.
Actually you SHOULD hear a difference. A digital eq is supposed to sound better than an analog eq's. Just like CD's sound better than cassette tapes. I'm not saying everything digital is always better than analog but in this case it is.

my DQT from audiocontrol
Nice choice bro.....sound good?

the PPI DEQ230, i bet thats like $200-$250, and its a great unit.
Yes, it is a GREAT unit....I couldn't be happier with mine. Only thing is I haven't seen it retail for any less $325. I bought a used one from a friend for $275. It is a one of a kind though, the chassis was sand blasted and then powder coated black (this is an older model that came white from the factory). You can't see anything on it except the nobs. No numbers or anything, I just have a photocopy of it and use it as a template when I have to adjust it. Sweeeeeeeeet.

Adam

I was just curious "slick316" how much was an Audio Control Digital Dash Control retailing for.??

Adam //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wave.gif.002382ce7d7c19757ab945cc69819de1.gif

thanks guys! you really made my mind open just a bit. but after all the research i made and the the sound test ive experienced (a demo of a deq230 and the orion digital eq) and havin measured evrything on a rta, i think both sounded pretty much the same. the only advantage of the analog deq was it was easy to adjust than the digital which you have to scroll to reach the freq you want to adjust. and of course the price difference.

well, with very little difference, i might go with the analog eq. im just thinking how much worth of other gears i could buy with the price difference.

my DQT is great, 30 bands of equalization makes it tough to adjust, but its so nice once you get the right settings.

the DDC retails for $250, mine still hasnt arrive, but should be coming soon.

btw, my local shop has a PPI DEQ230 on hand, i was going to buy it from them but wanted the DQT instead. it was used once in a comp and thats it, but it may have a scratch on it. its white and i think he wanted $250 on it, let me know if you are interested, i can check on the price for you (it might be cheaper).

i would bet that they both will sound the same, meaning, you probably wont hear any difference between the two.with that being said, i got a digital EQ for two reasons. one, my DQT from audiocontrol has a port that a remote can be plugged into (mine should arrive soon), allowing me to make EQ adjustments from the drivers seat. two, my EQ allows me to save 8 different EQ curves, so i can have the first one saved as "flat", while the second one is for rap music, and the third for rock, etc. then, i can recall the different settings with the touch of a button.

my DQT was expensive, and i would believe you can get an analog EQ for a decent price, like the PPI DEQ230, i bet thats like $200-$250, and its a great unit.

i love my DQT, but it depends are your taste.
sounds awesome man. one Question.

do mostly all EQ's come with curve settings? cuz that would be really reallly helpful as i wouldnt want to have to change it around everytime i listen to different types music.

sounds awesome man. one Question.
do mostly all EQ's come with curve settings? cuz that would be really reallly helpful as i wouldnt want to have to change it around everytime i listen to different types music.

Are you talking about preset curves?? All cars are different so a curve set in one car would sound alot different in another car. Not to mention with different equipment. If that is NOT what you're talking about then disregard what I said.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suave.gif.858fc102f7646e678ee8af7e1fbc41d1.gif

Adam

Actually you SHOULD hear a difference. A digital eq is supposed to sound better than an analog eq's. Just like CD's sound better than cassette tapes. I'm not saying everything digital is always better than analog but in this case it is.
Wouldn't the analog sound better since the headunit converts the digital unit takes an already analog signal from the headunit, converts it back to digital, and then convert it back to binary? IDK exactly how a digital equilizer works but seems to me that if that is how the digital unit works the analog one would have to be better. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Wouldn't the analog sound better since the headunit converts the digital unit takes an already analog signal from the headunit, converts it back to digital, and then convert it back to binary? IDK exactly how a digital equilizer works but seems to me that if that is how the digital unit works the analog one would have to be better. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
I don't really know what the ins and outs are of a digital eq, and I would suppose a digital eq would have to incorporate an a/d and a d/a converter. But if they are both of good quality (which they ARE both 24 bit) then the benefit would be that the equalization is done in the digital domain and then converted back to analog to the rca outputs. If thats the case that would be an improvement over an analog eq. What I would like to see is the Audio Control digital units (DQT,DXS,DQX,DQS) with optical digital inputs and outpus as well as analog inputs that way the high end decks could really take advantage of this. Pioneer (Premier) already has this with the DEX-P9 fed to the DEQ-P9. That setup keeps the signal digital until its fed to the amps.

Adam

know what, thats a great idea! i just wanna know if there are existing HUs with optical interconnects coz if there is, darn it would really be of much difference. deq-230? my bro is a distributor in the states, sells them cheap to me. more than half the price! hehehehe!

know what, thats a great idea! i just wanna know if there are existing HUs with optical interconnects coz if there is, darn it would really be of much difference. deq-230? my bro is a distributor in the states, sells them cheap to me. more than half the price! hehehehe!
Premier - DEX-P9

Clarion - DRZ-9255

The Orion DEQ-30 digital eq has the opitcal inputs to accept the signal from these decks.

There may be more decks out there with opitcal outputs but those are the only ones I could name off hand.

ADAM

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.