Difference in Sound: JL 10w6v3 (H.O. enclosure) or Sealed?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ErikDaGenErik

I made a totally impulse buy yesterday and purchased the JL 10w6v3 that comes loaded in the JL ported box (HO110-W6v3).

I previously had 2 Pioneer TS-W3002D4's in a dual sealed box, hooked up the my Pioneer GM-D9601 amp, running 1200w RMS to both subs @ 1 ohm. The setup was weighing down the tiny trunk of my IS350.

I was just curious, since I listen to mostly electronic dance music and dubstep, will there be a noticeable difference in SQ if had a box built to spec for the w6? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Why return the W6?
He should go with two 8's... use the full potential of his amp. Nothing wrong with the w6... but it's not the lightest woofer either. Pair of 8's would sound great on the 1ohm power from his amp and could potentially save some weight. But...then again it could require a larger box... I don't know what I'm talking it about. I'm too tired right now.

He should sell me the w6 though, not return it. My bad.

He should go with two 8's... use the full potential of his amp. Nothing wrong with the w6... but it's not the lightest woofer either. Pair of 8's would sound great on the 1ohm power from his amp and could potentially save some weight. But...then again it could require a larger box... I don't know what I'm talking it about. I'm too tired right now.
He should sell me the w6 though, not return it. My bad.
Funny you say that.. I just sold my 2 JL 8w3v3-4's to a friend 2 days ago. I went from those, to the two 12s, to now the single 10w6v3.

Funny you say that.. I just sold my 2 JL 8w3v3-4's to a friend 2 days ago. I went from those, to the two 12s, to now the single 10w6v3.
The W6 is fine for what you want they are great Subs defiantly one of my favorites

i have a good feeling those pioneers took up weight/space and didnt sound too good on the EDM genre But what i dont get is you selling the 8s. The 8s have more cone area and handles more power than one JL W6 10. You could have worked around with the box to improve the sound.

Most of these guys on the forums listen to hip hop, decaf and other genres and will probably recommend a low tuning for your box around 28-34hz or so. With this, you'll get a lot deep bass rumble with a lot of car flexing and air moving with it but its not too good on other music. For EDM/progressive house/dubstep music, I actually find that a higher tuning on the enclosure is better since most of these songs dont really hit under 40 hz(maybe a few dubstep songs but most of them dont go that low at all contrary to popular belief). When you tune that low, you lose a lot of ouput in the upper bass regions and in the genres you like, thats where all the bass/midbass in the recording is at.

since is only one sub, it would be better to have them in a ported box with adequate airspace tuned around 38-42 hz

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.