Customer review with numbers

Participant count
  • Participant list
original thread can be found at: My DSS Ethos review and comparison to the SP4 (db numbers inside) - Direct Sound Solutions - SSA Car Audio Forum

First let me start by saying my enclosure was not built for doing big numbers in mind, its a music box that plays **** near like a HT setup. This is strictly for fun and because the Ethos had to come out because I'm selling it to offset cost of the bigger build. My friend let me use his SP4 that is less than a year old until I pull it all out.

The enclosure

3.65cu net tuned at 29hz with 44sqin of port.

The amp and power

Crescendo BC2000, 225amp alt and two group 34 batteries.

Ethos 15 Dual 2ohm (wired at 1ohm) only pulling a max 60 amps of current according to the fluke clamp.

SP4 fully loaded Dual 1ohm (wired at .5 ohm) pulling a max 83 amps of current

I installed my Ethos 15 last weekend. The sub isnt even broke in all the way yet so I believe it will still get alittle louder over time. The biggest thing I notice is how clean it plays and how much it loves the lows. Yes my box is tuned low so that is expected but the sub does a great job of digging deep. The higher notes do equally well and Im sure in a higher tuned setup it would be different. With all music played it does just fine, rock, rap, country, dubstep, etc) Overall I love the way the Ethos sounds and performs and handles the 2k without even trying.

The SP4 is probably my favorite sub I have ever used, they play so clean, loud and low and I was doing big numbers out of a low tuned wall with 18's before so I am kinda partial. (although that outlook may change over time //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif )

Big thanks to Teric (Nadicle) for bringing over the meter and hanging out while we tested and did the direct swap. First I had the Ethos in, we rode up the road and started playing. Sounded good and was doing 2db louder than the FI Q that was previously in the same box and in my other F250 (basically same setup) Then we came back switched in the SP4 knowing we had to wire it lower at .5. I honestly was expecting to see a big increase and didnt think it would be close because of the extra power going to the SP4. Well here are the results. Take them as you wish but I think you will all see the potential of the Ethos.

Mic on windshield drivers side, pass side windows down. Found the peak to be 35hz, barley its so flat.

Ethos at 35hz.......................... 142.19db (at 1 ohm)

SP4 at 35hz..............................142.83db (at .5 ohm)

Now here is a shocker, song is "Hood *****" by KangarouX, better have big boy pants on to play this one full tilt.

Ethos at 22hz............................138.2db

SP4 at 22hz...............................136.8db

In the kick the SP4 did have a 1db increase over the Ethos, but all things considered.....................

Ethos at 35hz in kick Outlaw style.............. 142.3

SP4 at 34hz.................................................143.8

I realize the are complete different subs and both could be said to not be in the best enclosure for either sub. But just for a side by side drop in comparison the Ethos surprised both of us. This goes to show it doesnt take a 600 dollar sub to get the job done.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Quentin Jarrell
Folsom, La
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Quentin Jarrell
IMG_1154.png