Crossovers Blown

Fender5
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Arkansas
I have the ID CTX65CS set and the passenger side crossover is blown. I have no idea how, but I am running 150W RMS to them with 16 gauge wire. Little extra info.

I got a constant pulsating bass and finally traced it down to that crossover.

Do I just buy an external crossover like http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_13514_Clarion+MCD-360.html#?

Im not sure how they blew and I now am unsure what to do.

Maybe I should get a new component set. I think they might be blown because the constant bass was making them excurt alot.

actually when I tried to crimp cap that speaker onto the wiring harness, it still wouldnt play, even if I switched the positive and negative. still wouldnt work

So you are running 150w rms into a speaker that appears to be rated at 100w rms and you are wondering why the speaker is bad.... You killed the speaker with too much power. My bet is that the coil is either right seized or is burned blacker than a black man at night. Too much power = too much heat = blown speaker. This is not a bad speaker or a ID issue, it is a guy who uses the system issue.

So you are running 150w rms into a speaker that appears to be rated at 100w rms and you are wondering why the speaker is bad.... You killed the speaker with too much power. My bet is that the coil is either right seized or is burned blacker than a black man at night. Too much power = too much heat = blown speaker. This is not a bad speaker or a ID issue, it is a guy who uses the system issue.
May be a defective product. 150w vs 100w isn't a huge difference IMO, as long as he didn't go crazy with EQ boosts or cranking the gain too high.

i doubt i even gave them 150W. its my hifonics amp.

it only makes the whole system pulse bass when the woofer is connected to the crossover.

150 watts is 50% more power than they are rated for. 50% more power into a voicecoil that has a diameter of probably no more than a quarter is going to be a recipe for disaster.
Congrats, you can do basic math. Surely he was feeding his speakers a constant 150w with music + 14.4 volt electrical.

150 watts is 50% more power than they are rated for. 50% more power into a voicecoil that has a diameter of probably no more than a quarter is going to be a recipe for disaster.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif Music is dynamic, power is not constant. I'm not saying the guy didn't mess up his system...he may have, but don't get your panties in a bunch over the minor wattage difference.

EDIT: forgot to reload the page before posting, RowJoe already hit on this one. My bad.

After impedence changes, volume & gain levels, and the music being played (and what it was reecorded at), he may have only been giving his components 30w...

Either way, its not an end-all to anything, I was pushing 200w to a set of rsd's (rated at 60w) for over a year...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.