Concerns with the MS-8

Participant count
  • Participant list

FamousMassacre
10+ year member

Team Tantric
Ok, I was recommended to get the JBL MS-8 because it'd be better and cheaper than upgrading my head unit...

I've read up on it and if it's supposed to making everything good, sound quality wise, how do I make it very bass heavy?

I really have no interest in sound quality compared to SPL.

Should I get it if I only want SPL? My current LOC can't support my 1400rms. It's clipping at 700rms.

In a very bass heavy setup you'll need to dump the gain on your sub amp all the way down. MS-8 generates sweeps during the calibration, and the bass is supposed to be heard but not felt during these measurements. If it's too loud it will cut your bass. As long as you can get that part right you can crank the hell out of the bass if you want it to drastically overpower the speakers. MS-8 isn't a plug-n-play processor. None of them are that simple, and anyone who says they are either hasn't used anything more complicated than an LOC or they're trying to sell you one disingenuously.

It sounds like you may need a better quality LOC. An MS-8 is not a fancy LOC. If they were in stock I'd have the Cache CLOC+D to offer, or there's always Audio Control. You didn't say what LOC you have.

In a very bass heavy setup you'll need to dump the gain on your sub amp all the way down. MS-8 generates sweeps during the calibration, and the bass is supposed to be heard but not felt during these measurements. If it's too loud it will cut your bass. As long as you can get that part right you can crank the hell out of the bass if you want it to drastically overpower the speakers. MS-8 isn't a plug-n-play processor. None of them are that simple, and anyone who says they are either hasn't used anything more complicated than an LOC or they're trying to sell you one disingenuously.
It sounds like you may need a better quality LOC. An MS-8 is not a fancy LOC. If they were in stock I'd have the Cache CLOC+D to offer, or there's always Audio Control. You didn't say what LOC you have.
I met up with gckless and he told me that I should get the ms-8 because I'm also going to upgrade my speakers.

I've found nothing about my LOC online, but this is it:

"TruConnex TCLOC2".

This is what I want to do:

I want my XFL at 1400RMS(as much as I can get)

Some speakers, I was thinking Polk Audio DB6501(2 in the front, stock in the rear) on a 100rms a channel amp.

I just want to get loud.

I really enjoy my MS-8, but I can appreciate what it does to make my music sound better. Forgive me if I've got the wrong idea about your tastes and desires, but I think you would want to get rid of it if you got an MS-8. The sub level control has to be changed with the remote control to maintain the crossover between your subs and speakers. If you're going to have someone experienced with the MS-8 and SPL systems to install and tune it for you that would help greatly.

I really enjoy my MS-8, but I can appreciate what it does to make my music sound better. Forgive me if I've got the wrong idea about your tastes and desires, but I think you would want to get rid of it if you got an MS-8. The sub level control has to be changed with the remote control to maintain the crossover between your subs and speakers. If you're going to have someone experienced with the MS-8 and SPL systems to install and tune it for you that would help greatly.
So is my best bet to get a HQ LOC?

It's simple, just barely turn the gain knob on the sub amp up and run the ms-8 sweeps. After calibration turn the gain knob on the amp up a little and you can play with the eq and boost 20-80hz up to a desirable level.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

FamousMassacre

10+ year member
Team Tantric
FamousMassacre
San Antonio, Texas
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date