compustar alarms? so pricey! help

lotas
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I need some reassurance that this alarm is worth the money. The compustar LCDs in the series installed for me go 720$...then like 640$ ...then 580$ or something.

anyways this is a shitload of money. I've spent prolly 2grand on caraudio so its almost half of what ive spent.

Do you guys think an alarm is really a neccessity? There have been quite a few thefts within a mile radius of my house lately...but do I need an LCD screen?

and if you say I dont, then whast the point at having an alarm at all---its not like people actually stop anything that happens if they hear an alarm going off. A lot of the time they just figure it went off by accident, or you set it off yourself or someting. Anyways I just need some reassurance.

by the way do those prices sound high? 70$ of each or so is due to i have a manual transmission and they have to add extra ****.

thanks a lot.

you dont need an LCD screen persay... but it is a very nice feature. make sure it has 2 way communication, and enough security features so that you will feel safe. i have a viper 790XV and i really enjoy it. the LCD screen is nice, the 2 way technology is great, and i have killer range with my remote.

my only complaint is that the buttons are too easy to hit by accidnet. i have to leave the key fob outside of my pocket, dangling in teh open, and even then sometimes the buttons will get pressed. this usually isnt an issue as you are most likely too far for the communication to go through, but its still an issue that irks me... i wish there was some way to get a cover or something for the keys so i could shove it in my pocket and not worry...

you dont need an LCD screen persay... but it is a very nice feature. make sure it has 2 way communication, and enough security features so that you will feel safe. i have a viper 790XV and i really enjoy it. the LCD screen is nice, the 2 way technology is great, and i have killer range with my remote.
my only complaint is that the buttons are too easy to hit by accidnet. i have to leave the key fob outside of my pocket, dangling in teh open, and even then sometimes the buttons will get pressed. this usually isnt an issue as you are most likely too far for the communication to go through, but its still an issue that irks me... i wish there was some way to get a cover or something for the keys so i could shove it in my pocket and not worry...
hey thanks for the comment... i too have problems with hitting buttons (not on alarms seeing as i dont have one) but mp3players and stuff...that always bothers me...they should have a hold button or something //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Look into a Valet/Hornet setup. Not sure which model Hornet, but it is supposedly identical to the Viper 791.

I'm getting the 791 done with a bunch of goodies (3 extra horns, backup battery, proximity sensor thingy) installed for $300...but I'm special //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

**** you special people!!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

i got mine for less than that, and im not special. gotta love winning gift certificates in SPL comps //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

but yes, any of the DEI models should be identical. like i said before, great product, just the button issue(which i would not use as a reason not to get it)

**** you special people!!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
i got mine for less than that, and im not special. gotta love winning gift certificates in SPL comps //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

but yes, any of the DEI models should be identical. like i said before, great product, just the button issue(which i would not use as a reason not to get it)
Bastage //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Alarms are the only thing I don't screw with...

That, and my trunk has a few sensors that have gone haywire...

do you think there is a real need for the vibrate + beep vs. just the beep?

does anyone have the beeping one? how loud is it?

its quite a price difference...its a whole differnet series, so i'd like some input. thanks

Look into a Valet/Hornet setup. Not sure which model Hornet, but it is supposedly identical to the Viper 791.
I'm getting the 791 done with a bunch of goodies (3 extra horns, backup battery, proximity sensor thingy) installed for $300...but I'm special //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
The Hornet was actually dropped several months ago and split between Avital and Valet. The Viper/Clifford/Pythons Responder system are quite a bit different though.

The remote does look quite a bit different and features temp,runtime,clock,etc. Whereas the Responders dont.

More importantly the Responders are FM, and the Valet/Avitals are AM. Simply meaning slightly longer range and a faster response time with the Responder.

All in all I would still take the DEI products over the overpriced Compustar.

--Don

The Hornet was actually dropped several months ago and split between Avital and Valet. The Viper/Clifford/Pythons Responder system are quite a bit different though.
The remote does look quite a bit different and features temp,runtime,clock,etc. Whereas the Responders dont.

More importantly the Responders are FM, and the Valet/Avitals are AM. Simply meaning slightly longer range and a faster response time with the Responder.

All in all I would still take the DEI products over the overpriced Compustar.

--Don
have you heard what you have to do for manual remote start on a clifford? you have to lie put it in park, put it in neutral, take foot off brake, open door, take key out, get out of car, lock car, shut door.

its something really drawn out and extremely tedius and time-consuming...also if you break/drop a clifford LCD reciever its 100 something $ to replace...theres a 1year warranty on compustars...and after that is 39.99$ or something

i dunno, compustar sure looks better right now...but 640$ is a shitload of money...thats like 20 RE 8's //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

have you heard what you have to do for manual remote start on a clifford? you have to lie put it in park, put it in neutral, take foot off brake, open door, take key out, get out of car, lock car, shut door.
its something really drawn out and extremely tedius and time-consuming...also if you break/drop a clifford LCD reciever its 100 something $ to replace...theres a 1year warranty on compustars...and after that is 39.99$ or something

i dunno, compustar sure looks better right now...but 640$ is a shitload of money...thats like 20 RE 8's //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Actually depending on your car it is alot easier to do the remote start. Provided your car has a neutral safety switch, its only one additional wire and no sequence to go through to use it. I do them regularly on Nissans.

If you break or drop the remote it is 1 year warranty on DEI accessories. Lifetime on the brain itself. The Compustar can be quite a bit more expensive than the $40 you posted, depending on which model you have.

--Don

Actually depending on your car it is alot easier to do the remote start. Provided your car has a neutral safety switch, its only one additional wire and no sequence to go through to use it. I do them regularly on Nissans.
If you break or drop the remote it is 1 year warranty on DEI accessories. Lifetime on the brain itself. The Compustar can be quite a bit more expensive than the $40 you posted, depending on which model you have.

--Don
well to get remote start they are charing me 70$ for the part cause they have to put an NSS something in the remote (not sure) and then 50$ extra for more labor or someting.

anyways clifford just doesnt look like the best option right now, plus I like compustars layout a lot better.

well to get remote start they are charing me 70$ for the part cause they have to put an NSS something in the remote (not sure) and then 50$ extra for more labor or someting.
anyways clifford just doesnt look like the best option right now, plus I like compustars layout a lot better.

Wow I wish my customers would pay me $70 to hook up A wire. Then another $50 cause they just do....

With that being said, one of the main reasons I hate installing Compustars is due to the fact that all of the parts are Extremely large compared to competitors. Also IMO, Compustar still hasnt proven themselves in this industry yet, at least not compared to DEI. Theyve only been around 5years.

-_Don

i got the viper 690xv its great and the guy hooked it up to my old command start so i can start my car with the old command start cause its carburated...

your problem with the remote and hitting buttons i heard lots of people complain about this... my 2 way remote came with a clip to put on your belt or whatever...

i put it backwards so the keys are covered there is no way i can press the buttons while its in my pocket...

you guys should have the same clip i do just flip it around problem solved...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

lotas

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
lotas
Washington
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date