Compenent rankings from sq competitor

ws6ownzyou
10+ year member

TX
This is the list he gave, do you guys agree or disagree?

LIST:

Tier 1

Rainbow

Seas Lotus Reference Set

Dynaudio 240 Esotar

Scan-speak Revelators

Alpine AlpineF1 Status Components (uses Scan-speak drivers)

Tier 2

Morel

Focal Utopia

MB Quarts 6.5" 2-Way QSD

Tier 3

DLS 6.5" Ultimate 2-way

Vifa XT

Alpine (when using Vifa XT drivers)

Max Fidelity (DynAudio Clones)

CDT Audio Eurosport (uses Vifa drivers)

A/D/S (older stuff)

Peerless

LPG

Phoenix Gold Titanium 951 Comp Elite

Diamond Audio Hex

Image Dynamics CXS64

Tier 4

Boston Acoustics Pro 60

Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1

Vifa PL

Arc Audio 6.5" ACS

Tier 5

Bose

Clarion

Polk

Pioneer

Kenwood

Alpine (regular speakers)

JL Audio

Tier 6

JBL

Sony

Rockford Fosgate

All we've established is what sounds good to him/her. Doesn't mean much to your ears.

I agree with some of it.

- Steve

All we've established is what sounds good to him/her. Doesn't mean much to your ears.
I agree with some of it.

- Steve
yes i realize this, i was just wanting opinions of what you guys thought were the best/worst according to YOUR ears //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

yes i realize this, i was just wanting opinions of what you guys thought were the best/worst according to YOUR ears //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Fair enough. Want specific models, or just brands? Any specific size?

- Steve

Fair enough. Want specific models, or just brands? Any specific size?
- Steve
going into a mr2, 6.5 components, whatever you think are the best/worst based on what you have heard, thanks for your time.

they will be running with either a idmax 10 or brahma 10.

Kind of a hard list to put together, considering the number of available comps. For example, the DLS Iriduims weren't mentioned, either were the rest of the Dynaudio line. RS Audio comps are supposed to be pretty specatular. Focal Polykevlars belong in atleast tier 3. And it doesn't include things like the Seas Excels, Usher CF mids (Scanspeak clones), etc etc.

And even then, are we talking out-of-the-box performance or "under perfect conditions".....cause some sets will work better off-axis than others (especially when including some Home Audio drivers), and others can sound phenominal but need a ton of work tuning wise to get to that point.

I don't know......I guess I'm just an "anti-categorization" kinda guy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Focal Polykevlars belong in atleast tier 3.
I’d say Tier 2 (no lower than the Utopias). And the Quarts should be moved to Tier 3. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Also, when he mentions simply “Rainbow” or “Morel,” is he saying that all of these company’s product lines belong in the assigned Tier? That seems like a bit of an ambiguity. It would be foolish to compare Rainbow’s bottom-line offering to the Revelators.

Anyway, is this taking tuning into account? I’ve heard reports that the Lotus set sound sub-par without the appropriate EQing/notch filter. Same with the Dynaudio (or so I’ve read, as I have no experience with either brand mentioned here). Overall, part of the list is specific enough to warrant discussion, while the other is annoyingly general (for instance, I wouldn’t equate JL and Kenwood components).

I don't like the list too much...he's not very specific with the models or anything. The MB Quarts should be in Tier 3 and IMO the JL XRs would definitely be higher than Tier 5. He's just speaking in broad terms and I don't like it too much.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ws6ownzyou

10+ year member
ws6ownzyou
TX
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from