Clarion DXZ655MP for SQ competition set up? Suggestions please!

Participant count
  • Participant list

projectONExB
10+ year member

MN
I have been reading post after post after post trying to decide on a HU for my first SQ competition set up.

My problem is that I can't decide on a deck and am looking for a little imput. Will the DXZ655MP be a good deck?? I'm a little concerned about the 2v pre-outs and sound processing. Would I need to step it up to the 855mp for the 24-bit processing and 4v pre-outs. I don't care about looks, just quality sound processing. The problem is the 655 can be picked up for under $200, but the 855 would be at least $350. Any help anyone can offer would be great.

I will be a "rookie" next year and will be setting up my system in an xB. Looking to have 6.5" components in the front and not sure about the rear fill yet. The sub will be an Image Dynamics IDQ12 in a sealed box. Mono and 2 or 4 ch amp powering everything. I also want to put in a seperate EQ.

Thanks!

(originally posted in competition section...thought it would do better here)

The two volt preout should not be an issue. Quality components and proper grounds should keep your system noise free. As far as the processor goes, I would advise that you go and listen to the two decks and compare the sound yourself. If you decide that you enjoy competing you will most likely upgrade to a stand alone signal processor anyway, most of which are 24 bit with A/D, & D/A converters built in. So I really see nothing wrong with going with the cheaper unit for now and applying the balance toward nice components or amps.

As Bake said, the two volt won't be that big of a deal. Remember the Big Three and good components, amps, and signal processors.

Good luck in the lanes and know your car inside and out. The more you know about the car install, the better your presentation.

Head unit isn't that big of a deal for a rookie. Get the experience from competition and then decide if you need a better head unit.

Only time and experience will tell. Just take all the criticism that the Judges give you and your car, and apply them to better the sound. Have an open mind about it.

Thanks for the advise Bake and OnYrMrk...i'm planning on doing the big 3 right away! i'll be looking at running the eD nine.4 to my components and rear fill...will that be ok? or do i just run the rear fill off the deck? thanks again!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.