CL folks claiming prefab boxes = custom

M@nJo
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
bay area
I love it when craigslist sellers advertise their boxes as "custom" when its clearly a prefab from eBay or local shops. You ask what it is tuned to, cubic ft, what type of port, and other specs...they reply with "I dont know, the shop built it". Does anyone else see this on their ads? I see this more often when browsing used Kicker L5/L7's

yep my local shop advertises all there boxes as custom but all have a logo not form them on em...its that company that makes all those boxes to fit certain vehicles.

I usually build my own boxes. Except the pwk one for my 18, and the resined and braced box I paid $20 for. That was a steal //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

yeah i get that all the time....along with the overpriced 10 year old crap..... I never find anything decent in my area...i could rant all day about this...

Meh if the box works and if you calculate what the frequency is and if the subs are safely playable at it then who cares lol. LET THE FLAMING TOWARDS ME BEGIN! WELL if you just want something for yourself and dont want to participate in competitions like a lot of the people that say prefabs ****...hell I bet some of the people that say prefabs **** period are the ones that just say its bad because the competition people say its bad. But o well im allowed to have my opinion.

But yea you cant trust people online sometimes...

I guess one that isn't made in a factory.
What if the factory makes it to fit well with your sub, or vehicle?

I guess to me, whether it is prefab or custom makes no difference. What matters:

- Does it fit in my vehicle?

- Does the alignment work well with my sub and vehicle to give me the response I desire?

- Is it well-built (what is the quality of the joints, is it sealed/caulked, is it at least 3/4" MDF, etc)?

Whether it is pre-fab or custom is really irrelevant, I think. In fact, someone who pays a shop to build them an enclosure just so they can say it's "custom" when there's a perfectly good "pre-fab" sitting on the floor would be making quite a mistake, I think.

I guess to me, whether it is prefab or custom makes no difference. What matters:

- Does the alignment work well with my sub and vehicle to give me the response I desire?

- Is it well-built (what is the quality of the joints, is it sealed/caulked, is it at least 3/4" MDF, etc)?

Whether it is pre-fab or custom is really irrelevant, I think. In fact, someone who pays a shop to build them an enclosure just so they can say it's "custom" when there's a perfectly good "pre-fab" sitting on the floor would be making quite a mistake, I think.
i used to think that way to. till i got a box for my w3s, they sounded so much better. if u feel its not needed, then there u go, but 90 percent of the time, u pay all but the same price for a prefab that u would for a box tuned properly

One example I can think of are the fully loaded kicker boxes. I've never heard kickers in a custom box but I've heard a few in the kicker boxes. They aren't bad at all for a setup. But it will also cost you out the ass.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.