Car speaker industry standard

Participant count
  • Participant list

robinwood168

Hi, I am from a speaker manufactory. We build some very hi-end home theather but new to car speakers. I recognized that on several customer speaker models, the demensions , such as height, screw holes are quite different. I am confused and do not know which is right.

I do belive there should have a car speaker industry demensions, can any one tell me where I can download or buy it?

Many thanks!

Like a book that has every dimension for most vehicles speakers ?

I mean there are websites that tell you which speakers fit into which car ...

Or are you looking to find out where to drill your mounting holes ?

- Steve

Yes,Steve, if there are a book or website to show the industry standard demensions, that will be perfect.

Can you kindly advise any of it? Or where I can find it?

The industry standard like, for example:

6.5 Inch speaker:

OD = 165 mm

Height = 60 mm

Screw mounting holes( position and size with Autocad or pictures)

etc.

The only "standard" would be screw hole pattern. I searched the web and found nothing in writing. One way to get the numbers would be to check owners manuals on Kicker's web site - they list the mounting diameters (screw hole circle) for their speakers. The hole patterns are symmetrical, with 4 holes for 4-5" speakers and 6 holes for 6.5's. You could also buy some grilles and measure them I guess...

As for max diameter, cutout size and mounting depth those dimensions are up to the speaker designers.

Hi Steve and Dave,

I checked with some retailer samples, got the sample dimensions:

6.5 inch, OD 165 mm, Screw Holes at 155 mm, mounting hole of the frame 142.5mm,Assembly height 65 mm.

5.25 inch,OD 150 mm, Screw Holes at 134 mm ,Mounting Hole of the Frame 114 mm,Assembly height 50 mm.

But the q'ty of screw holes is various. Such as 6.5 inch, I found some have 7 holes, and some 8 holes ,14 holes, 18 holes , etc.

5 inch has the same problem.

Yeah, my CDT's have a ton of holes ...

P1000604.JPG

Definetely universal.

- Steve

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.