Came Across An Advertisement ...

ss3079
5,000+ posts

Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser
Up North
TECH TIP:

Does your bass sound washed out? Do your headlights dim when your subwoofers kick in? Chances are your amplifier is using more power to drive your subwoofers than your electrical system can supply. We recommend the use of a stiffening capacitor (above) for big bass applications. A stiffening capacitor runs in parallel with your amp and acts as a reserve power source. When your amplifier needs that extra current for big bass output, it can draw extra power from the capacitor without putting strain on your already drained electrical system.
Why do they make them? People buy them.

Why do people buy them? Lack of education/knowledge? Etc, of course.

Just a little advertisement I came across. No big deal. Just this is what they're advertising. No intention of this becoming a flame war. First post that way means it's gone.

- Steve

this should be a good one... the one thing I WILL comment on is how they use the lights dimming as an example and then recomend a capacitor. An electrical system should be stable enough so there is not enough drain to dim lights before the addition of a capacitor comes into thought.

so caps are bad...? Although I wouldn't buy one if I ever did have dimming problems, I would just get a lower-powered amp. (you heard right).

Ok, the advertisement is what I've always though a cap was for. I'm guessing you're saying it's false advertising. So what is a cap actually for?

No a cap is not all bad, it has a purpose, the trick is to know when and where to use one. Otherwise it is a tolal waste of $.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/handclap.gif.0c301076f534e244f0460706894f19e0.gif

Bingo.

- Steve

I had a problem with my lights dimming on extended notes and i added one. It just needed that little extra power and it solved my problems. But like forbidden said you have to know when and where to use one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ss3079

5,000+ posts
Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser
ss3079
Up North
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date