Boston Acoustics Pro60 vs. Z6

mk_
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Tempe, AZ
I'm possibly interested in these two respective sets of mid-woofers (not the component set).

I need a high power handling midwoofer for my car and these two stuck out to me. I did some quick research on the Pro60 mids and while they are rated @ 125wrms, I understand they can withstand that of 300wrms, which is closer to what I would be running them at.

The z6 mid's are rated 20-400wrms so I am confident they will take the power I am sending them. Looks as if the pro60's are priced better than the z6 but when it comes down to it, should I Just look into the more expensive z6's?

Hopefully some people have used both sets and can offer their opinions!

Thanks

Michael

do you have a way to demmo them? i installed a set of the 60's in a coustomer's cars a while back and imo they sounded good. its hard to recomend drivers though because everyones tastes are diffrent.

did you ever thing about the cdt es07+ series

i use those woofes and im sure they can take a lotta power and they do sound amazing belive it or not. Boston on the other hand i have subs from them The respected G5 so boston is defenitly a top choice for me too..

Well, I have used CDT before, their lower lines, and i liked it for the most part for the money. I wanted to try Boston Acoustics out because I've never used their equipment and feel it can be considered 'higher end'. Not saying theres anything wrong with CDT, as I said I've used their stuff before and liked it. I shall continue to look around CDT's higher line also.

Any other opinions on the mids in the title?

Thanks

Michael

Hi mk,

I started a thread a while back about the SPZ's. I purchased two sets of these, front and rear. Was advised on here, other forums and audio shops that fronts would be more than enough. So i sold one set.

I was left with one set of SPZ's and a JL 300/4v2. They were installed into my vehicle a few weeks ago and oh my they are Amazing.

The amp was rated at 4 x 75rms. This was bridged to achieve 2x 150rms. JL like to under rate their products so the amp is more than likely pushing more than this. The SPZ's took ~150 without a problem.

A friend of my was looking for an amp similar to the the specs of the 300/4 so i sold her mine and purchased a 450/4v2 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Bridged this to achieve 225rms (probably more) and again, the Bostons took this like a dream!

Clarity, power, performance is there. If you think that they are going to distort when put to the test you're wrong. They hold their ground!

Yes these are not cheap peices of equipment, but in my book they're worth every penny. Deffo thumbs up for the SPZ's.

Oh and by the way, if you do decide to go with the SPZ's. You're going to need a whole lot of deadening //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I have access to some BNIB Boston Z6's, authorized, with full warranty if you are interested.

I've done a few installs with the Pro60's and the Z6's... both are great performers.

nG

Hi mk,
A friend of my was looking for an amp similar to the the specs of the 300/4 so i sold her mine and purchased a 450/4v2 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Bridged this to achieve 225rms (probably more) and again, the Bostons took this like a dream!

I just purchased a set of spz's. did the more power make that much of a difference? I have a zapco 350.2 currently and it pushes around 125 watts a channel but i was considering getting a larger amp for my spz's. is it worth the extra money?

I just purchased a set of spz's. did the more power make that much of a difference? I have a zapco 350.2 currently and it pushes around 125 watts a channel but i was considering getting a larger amp for my spz's. is it worth the extra money?
Hi,

I believe these speakers run at 3ohms. Your zapco, produces 2 x 100watts at 4ohms and 2 x 175watts at 2ohms. So your right, at 3ohms you should be seeing around 125/135watts.

Personally, i could see a big difference with the new amp. Think i underestimated these speakers when i first purchased them. I can honestly say that i wouldnt bother running these components at less than 200wrms each side.

You've bought a very decent bit of equipment. Supply them with good power and they will not let you down.

Spending the extra bit is definitely worth it in my book, im sure you'll agree if you decide to.

Hope this helps.

Hi,
I believe these speakers run at 3ohms. Your zapco, produces 2 x 100watts at 4ohms and 2 x 175watts at 2ohms. So your right, at 3ohms you should be seeing around 125/135watts.

Personally, i could see a big difference with the new amp. Think i underestimated these speakers when i first purchased them. I can honestly say that i wouldnt bother running these components at less than 200wrms each side.

You've bought a very decent bit of equipment. Supply them with good power and they will not let you down.

Spending the extra bit is definitely worth it in my book, im sure you'll agree if you decide to.

Hope this helps.

Very true. I had a Zapco 350.2 on my Boston Pro's and if they are like the SPZ's you need at least 200rms per side for them to really shine.

FYI there are absolutely multitudes of raw drivers available out there that will perform great and won't carry the huge pricetag that name brand boxed drivers do. The Bostons are great, just saying if you are only buying a midwoofer, there are gobs of options, some of which are very good, for much less money. A good tour of http://www.DIYmobileaudio.com and a glimpse at http://www.madisound.com could do you some good.

Very true. I had a Zapco 350.2 on my Boston Pro's and if they are like the SPZ's you need at least 200rms per side for them to really shine.
Good point.

Don't get me wrong, you're zapco will provide them with OK power.. but like i said before, these definitely aren't your average speakers.

Give them what they need, you wont regret it.

Read some things that the PRO60's have a greater output, but the Z6's are more accurate. Any truth to this, to the people who have used these sets?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.