Birch or MDF?

Ledoux289
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm building an enclosure for 2 10" Eclipse Aluminum subs tomorrow. I've got a question as to which material to use. Where I am 3/4" MDF is $25.00 for a sheet and birch is $35.00 for a sheet. I was just planning on sanding the whole thing down and painting the box red and the port black. But if I go birch it sure would look good with just a sealant on it. Any suggestions?

Speakerbox.jpg

Birch is better for some reasons, its lighter, looks better and doesnt contain formaldehyde. I have used Birch in many boxes, and if you are worried about strength use fiberglass resin to coat inside of box and seals.

I have also made quite a few boxes with both and the birch will be lighter... thats about the only diff to be honest... well mdf can feel and look smoother easier i suppose if its going to be painted... And the birch can have splinters at times... But still lighter and that saved gas and backs...

Birch is better for some reasons, its lighter, looks better and doesnt contain formaldehyde. I have used Birch in many boxes, and if you are worried about strength use fiberglass resin to coat inside of box and seals.
I shouldn't have a strength issue with a box that is 40x14x14 should I?

is it 11-ply birch? I used that for my wall and it's stronger then MDF according to my stress tests.

Do birch and use a colored stain and poly to finish it...

is it 11-ply birch? I used that for my wall and it's stronger then MDF according to my stress tests.
Do birch and use a colored stain and poly to finish it...
No, it's only 7-ply. Should I skip and go with the MDF then?

most people know and are gonna tell you mdf bro
lmao.

"Most people" would be ignorant and band-wagoners.

Birch is lighter, just as dense, but harder to work with and thus more expensive.

People use MDF because it's medium weight (it's actually pretty heavy. But, not terribly heavy), it's dense,a nd it's cheap. ***** is dense, light, but expensive.

I say Birch.

HD has 11ply for around $48 a sheet if that's where you're looking...
I hear that plywood has holes in it sometimes (between each layer.)

and I'd agree since the top of my desk is ply and it has mad holes inbetween the sheets (It's 3-layers with 2 filler layers.)

I hear that plywood has holes in it sometimes (between each layer.)and I'd agree since the top of my desk is ply and it has mad holes inbetween the sheets (It's 3-layers with 2 filler layers.)
thats why you get VOIDLESS birtch //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

MDF= cheaper, heavier, toxic, ugly

BIRCH= pricier, lighter, looks nice

due to my lack of knowledge i dont no which wood flexes more but just by instinct ima say mdf just do to how dense the wood is compared to birch. but dont take my word on this part //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.